Author Topic: 22-250  (Read 2608 times)

Offline lsc

• Trade Count: (0)
22-250
« on: November 08, 2011, 01:57:35 PM »
Thinking about getting a 22-250 for thinning out the yotes and an other varmint hunting I might want to do. Just started looking them over and wondering which ones you guys think are the best. I love speed and accuracy, doesn't everybody. I was looking at a nice price on a Rem Mod 7 but the 22" barrel kinda makes me wonder about the speed and accuracy vs. the longer 26" barrels. What do you guys think?

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: 22-250
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 02:52:02 AM »
I'm not much of a bolt action fan, but those preditor model #7s sure look nice.. If I were to buy one, I believe thats the one I'd go for.  ;)

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline lsc

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 01:59:54 PM »
Thanks Byron, they do look nice. Fortunately, I'm past that age where looks matter more than performance. There are tons of choices in this category and I really would value some pros and cons from all you guys. C'mon, help a guy spend some money.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 04:16:40 PM »
I have a 223 and 243 Model 7, both shoot 1/2" groups.................Also a Tiikka Lite 22-250 and a Remington 700 VTR 22-250, both shoot less than MOA.

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 02:13:48 AM »
i had a savage 112 in 22-250  it was super accurate crows at 400 yrds were no problem.but the gun was so heavy it was no fun to carry in the feild.   i will stick with my h&r 250 it shoots almost as good and is a dream to carry.
    rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 05:21:53 AM »
I don't think you have a problem with accuracy with the shorter barrel but your velocity will suffer.  I had one build used a model 7 action and the 22" barrel was nice getting into back country shoot rock chucks or as a short barrel truck rifle.

It  wasn't one I'd use as volume PD rifle had little muzzle blast and I do regret not going with at least 24" maybe heavier contour not the varmit one.

I think lot depend on how many rd you plan on shooting in a day if varmit shooting as those small countor barrels heat real fast.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 02:57:02 PM »
Well get you a model 700 with a heavy weight 26" barrel. It will hold real steady, & the barrel will heat up slow.  ;D You'll get max velocity & accuracy. Of course you'll need wheels mounted on it because I will be to heavy to carry by hand.  ::)

Or buy a #7 and enjoy the same accuracy and maybe 150fps less velocity.. But what a joy to carry around.

Regards,

Theres your pros & cons...  ::)
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 04:40:19 AM »
Howa makes a 22-250 with a 20" heavy barrel and Weatherby offers the Vanguard in a 22" heavy barrel. Well-balanced and gives a barrel that is more stable and won't heat up as fast without the weight of the 26" barrel. Unless you'e planning on shooting everything at 400 yards will the extra barrel length be that critical?
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline lsc

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 01:57:02 PM »
Thanks everybody, appreciate the info. Most of the varmint hunting I will do will be yotes so I'm not worried about weight as much since I plan to call them in. The 7 looks really nice but I don't know if I can give up that extra 150 ft/s and probably more like 200ft/s from a 22" to a 26". Roper...your experience with muzzle blast and heat concerns me too so I think your advice on the 24" minimum is pretty good. Looks lie I'll need to save a few more dollars and get the more expensive 700 or comparable models.

Offline hotrunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 06:57:16 PM »
.22-250s do seem to need the longer barrels to wring the most from them. As far as Remingtons, I prefer the stainless 700s myself. If weight isn't an issue, you might check out Cabela's special-model stainless SPS Varmint with a 26" barrel for around 600 bucks; you can always add a better stock later, as I did with mine. The laminated stock 700s are nice, too; and they're now making a fluted-barrel Varmint model with the Tupperware SPS stock for a reasonable price. Savage lovers will try to sell you on that brand, and they are good shooters. If I were buying another .22-250 and couldn't afford a Cooper Model 54, my next choice would be a C-Z 550 Kevlar Varmint: single-set trigger, detachable magazine, and accurate.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 02:55:17 AM »
 :) For acc. from a factory rifle, I love the heavy barreled Rem. Varmit models...my last one was a laminated stock model...now have only rebarreled actions..for my shooting I prefer a longer barreled heavier rifle...I carried the 700v many miles hunting coyotes...heavy sure, but when you take a shot it steady's down .....what is the point of carrying a nice light rifle only to miss the shot...I am not taking about acc. here, but the ability to quickly steady down..it may all be what one is used to, but when I try a light rifle, it seems to take forever to get a solid hold.........just a thought

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 09:23:22 AM »
I've had a few 22 Varminters over the years, but the favorite bolter was a Remy 700VS w/2 ounce trigger and wearing a Leupold 6.5-20X50 LRT scope.   It was pure death at long ranges on predatos and varmints.   A big and heavy rifle though, and the target trigger made it a liabilty for called predators even though I always hunted them alone.   Always wanted to try a Model 7 for predator hunting but never got around to it.   Would be far better for called predators for sure, but it would give up range.

Picture is actually of it's little brother, a 223VS set up the exact same way (couldn't find one of the 22-250).   But the pair made for an awesome combo in the killing fields for both predators and varmints.

Best do all 22-250 I've had was the Browning 1885 High Wall with a Leupold 6-18 Target scope.   Not ideal for called predators, but it would get the job done as long as they didn't come six at a time.  ;)   It really excelled on long to extreme range predators and varmints though.   

FWIW
L.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline tatonka

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 12:24:36 PM »
+1 for the Remington model 7 22-250. You are not going to heat the barrel shooting coyotes. My SS model 7 in 22-250 is my go to gun for big varmints around the farm. I have a heavy barrel 22-250 that will outshoot the model 7 on the bench but it gets used less and less as I get older. Using the lighter Vmax bullets, I get 3865 fps from my model 7. Another 150 fps is accademic on the coyotes end. Good shooting

Offline lsc

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 02:17:13 PM »
Thanks guys for all the advice. I ended up picking up a new Rem 700 26" bull barrel in Mossy Oak Brush and a Nikon Coyote series scope 4.5-14X40 in Mossy Oak Brush as well. Looks like it might be a nice rig but my wife won't let me have it until Christmas, argh. Not going to be the lightest rig but as long as it shoots well, no problem.

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 05:45:07 AM »
How did the new rifle work out ?  I had a Rem 7 in 223 and could not get decent accuracy out of it. Barrel was just too light I guess - looked nice and was easy to carry. Just wouldn't shoot. Only Remington product I have ever had not shoot well.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 05:27:08 AM »
saltydog,
           My Model 7 223 love Hornady and Fiocchi 40 grain vmax rounds, shoots unbelievable groups(for me) Might give them a try
poncaguy