Author Topic: Is the quality still OK ?  (Read 702 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Is the quality still OK ?
« on: April 09, 2012, 04:42:49 AM »
  Have the Handis been affected adversely by the Marlington/Remlin changover ?  If so, in what way ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Is the quality still OK ?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:20:16 AM »
I just bought a new one, an it's fine. The wood stocked ones look a little more cookie cutter though.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 05:43:09 AM »
It seems to be hit or miss with new guns. Some of them are put together well and are good shooters while others are junk. Overall I think the brand has taken a downhill slide since being bought up. There's no pride built into them anymore like there was in Gardner.

Spanky

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:57:37 AM »
I have probobly bought 6 new guns in the last year and only one didnt have an issue and need to go back for better fit. That said they have never let me down and have always held up there end of the bargain and repaired the firearm. They always have come back and shoot well after. Lots of that has to do with Brian56.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:52:48 AM »
  I am basically considering an extra barrel in .44 mag or perhaps .35 Rem..has anything happened to the bores and accuracy ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline 161

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 02:30:55 PM »
I bought a BC a couple months ago, the toe of the stock was broken away. I sent it back unfired and they replaced the stock. When it returned I went out to shoot it and noticed the rear sight was a few degrees clockwise off center. I took it to a local machine shop and had it re-drilled and taped. It shoots great but QC must have been at lunch.

Offline flinthead

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »
On a positive note... I think I bought two Handi's last year and they were perfect,,, in fact, of the five Handi's that I own they all have been perfect and most are moa @ 100 yards. The ones that aren't are around 1.5" for three shots @ 100... ;)  Minute of deer no doubt!!
" A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog"

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 03:02:36 PM »
Thanks Guys..looks like most complaints don't affect the accuracy..

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 10:47:36 PM »
I have never had a FACTORY quality issue with any of the sixteen Handis, 4 Pardners, a Huntsman and a Sportster that we own.  Some are from Gardner, some from Illion, and some are parts from both.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Urny

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »
I took delivery yesterday of a new .223 HB ordered last week, and without shooting it yet it looks and feels pretty good.  Finish is nice, the barrel locks up very tight with no side to side movement that I've been able to detect, open or closed.  The trigger is a little heavy, but less so than past handi's we've bought around here.  Stock is OK for pallet wood and the butt pad is nicely fitted, surprisingly so.  After a couple of patches the inside of the barrel looks good too.  The extractor is smooth, and, while not tested with fired rounds yet, removes loaded rounds like it should.

This one came with a pretty unimpressive unmarked 3X9 scope that will go somewhere else and be replaced with a grand old Weaver in the same power range.  It might be acceptable on one of the old .22's around here.

The gunshow in Boise this weekend means there will be no chance to shoot it until the following Saturday.  That occassion is being eagerly anticipated.  There are reloads with 50 grain Ballistic Tips and Berger HP's, 55 and 60 grain Hornady SP's, and maybe even some factory loads, if we don't get too stingy.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 02:33:19 PM »
  I am basically considering an extra barrel in .44 mag or perhaps .35 Rem..has anything happened to the bores and accuracy ?

Yes, they are better now than they use to be.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~