Author Topic: Roa & winchester cowboy loads  (Read 615 times)

Offline Good time Charlie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Roa & winchester cowboy loads
« on: January 24, 2004, 07:49:09 AM »
I got my ROA out this morning and shot a few Winchester cowboy load cartridges through my new croney. They clocked all over the place. From 621 fps to 751 fps. I all so got bullet creep on a few bullets. Don't say a lot for Winchester
                                  Charlie

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 05:04:26 PM »
I have been holding off, but I can't any longer. I have to ask if you have a conversion in the Ruger Old Army or were you referring to something else?
It seems we are talking about your rifle though. I am guessing the crimp isn't too good on winchester cartridges. I use a Lee factory crimp on all of my cartridges and never have any problem. I do load all my own stuff in all my calibers, except C&B of course.
 :grin:
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

• Avid Poster
ROA
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 01:46:07 AM »
Yes, Howdy I was using the drop in cylinder in my ROA. I don't load yet. I plan to in the future. I bought these (500 rounds) on the net from Midway. I have a friend that dose a little reloading and he said to get me started I could buy some dies and he will walk me through the process.
                                    Charlie

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 02:01:05 AM »
I shoot the Winchester cowboy loads in my Henry Rifle-.44/40.   I have never had them run through a chronagraph, but have had real consistent results with them.  I still have about 300 rounds of them.  I bought them on sale at a Galyans.  I hope their quality hasn't gone down as they were very reasonably priced.

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 02:55:25 PM »
It would not be unusual, in fact probably common, to see such wide variations in cowboy loads.  The problem being such a small charge in such a large case and that charge moving around in the case from handling.  Remember, these were only designed to hit a 12-15" target at 10-15 yards.

• Avid Poster
ROA
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 03:55:40 PM »
Blackhawk 44 I guess it is live and learn. However I would have thought quality control would have been better. Then again as you say they are intended for 12 to 15 yd. So I guess you should know what you want before buying. But experimenting is half the fun.
                                   Charlie

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 04:56:14 PM »
The cure is handloading.  Come competitors use small charges with styrofoam or polyfoam fillers.  Some of the CAS mags have had articles on the subject.  Before you try that, you could start with about 6-6.5gr Unique(more bulk), 200gr bullets(shoot closer to the sights) and seat the bullets deeper in the case.  Or use 45 S&W cases (short Colt) from Starline.  Go slowly and be careful.

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004, 06:41:23 PM »
Charlie, if I remember right, I was getting about the very same performance out of my 5 1/2 ROAs with a 30gr load. I don't have conversions for mine. I played around with a bunch of different loads and settled on 30gr for CAS shooting. I shoot APP powder pretty much exclusively these days.
I had a crono and was using it to dial in rifle loads and the crony took a hit in the forward window and is now history. (Don't ask) I seem to have my set ups now on all I shoot for CAS in rifle, C&B, cartridge and shotgun. It takes some playing with and testing. That is where getting into reloading helps a lot. You are not at the mercy of a standard load and can load cartridges to suit yourself with a combo of bullet weights and powders. It is a lot of fun.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA