Author Topic: First stub project 25 caliber  (Read 767 times)

Offline quatroclick

• Trade Count: (2)
First stub project 25 caliber
« on: April 08, 2012, 05:56:36 PM »
My pile of parts is reaching a critical mass to start a stub project.  I have a 20 gauge topper, a 12 gauge barrel that fits my 7-08 receiver, a take off Winchester 25-20 barrel on the way and a take off Ruger #3 223 barrel just for good measure, just in case I decide to go smaller for some reason.  I have been thinking how I want to attach the barrel to the stub.  For a low pressure cartridge like 25-20 or 25-35 (I haven't decided which, and 256 win mag isn't out of the running) I think that a press fit with locktite sleeve retainer would be sufficient.  I have a lathe and I could cut the threads, but I don't relish the idea.  I guess that I would need a 22 hornet extractor for the 25-20 although a mofiied 223 might (or might not) work.  Any thoughts on using the 12 gauge barrel for the stub?

Offline handishooter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: First stub project 25 caliber
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 06:41:40 PM »
I did a 25/20 about 4 years ago, it was my first major project like this and it came out great, really love the round. What I did was line a 28ga barrel, I bought the liner from track of the wolf, drilled it by hand, using an 18 inch bit that brownells sells just for this purpose, you drill from the muzzle and then from the breach. I used acraglass to install my liner then modified the extractor, cut the chamber and crowned the barrel. It has made a great small game rifle, very accurate. Several years ago I ordered a custom set of lee collet dies for the 25/20, best $50 I ever spent for reloading dies. Really extends the life of the brass also.  Came with the collet die and dead length bullet seater. I have shot a variety of loads and the most accurate for me is an 86gr Remmington with IMR 4227 that chronos consistently , at 1650, I have taken this load to 1750 with no signs of excess pressure and the case still almost drops out but accuracy does suffer. I have probably fired 2k rounds through the rifle, the shotgun barrel I used had the brazed underlug on it and it has held up with no signs of wear. One of these days I will get around to doing another in .32, I bought several shotgun barrels from numerich just for to experiment with.
Handi family   10mm, 44mag, 6.5 x53r , 25/20, 7.62x54r, 50/70, 45/70, .32 s&w long

Offline quatroclick

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 02:14:22 AM »
I thought about lining the barrel, but my new barrel will be better used on a stub.  I'm thinking I will stick with the 25-20 or 256 as I am looking for something more along the lines of reloadable 22 magnum than 257 Roberts.  Did you use the 22 hornet extractor?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
A press fit will probably work, but threading would be much better, I use a sholder on the barrel and a nut at the breach end, then machine off what sticks out.  If you do press in the barrel at least put a pin or two in to hold it, the 25-20 has a sholder so will have some forward thrust on the barrel.  If you use a rimmed cartridge, just use a longer ejector, anneal the end of it, mill the ejector slot, put in the ejector and then cut the chamber, you will end up with a perfectly fitting ejector.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline handishooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »
Yes I did use the .22 hornet extractor, got that from numrich also. At the time I did this project, I used the liner because my shop equipment was limited. Now I would use a stub. I think it would be great in .256, years ago I had a marlin chambered for it and really enjoyed, my brother talked me out of that rifle and I still regret giving it up.
Handi family   10mm, 44mag, 6.5 x53r , 25/20, 7.62x54r, 50/70, 45/70, .32 s&w long

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 05:00:27 AM »
Defineately a fun project!!

I have a couple 25/20's and had a couple 256 mags as well!  I say had because the Marlin 62 went to a collector friend of mine for a awefully tidy sum. ;) (I did not want to sell be he had more $$ than sence and inspire of my objections he won out with presistance and larger offers) the second one was a Contender, both where good shooters and that contender was a exceptional shooter with 75g Sierras!  BUT both where plagued with same issues. You cannot "push" them at all. The 25/20 although has fragile brass is more loading friendly. It's able to be pushed to very respectable velocities as well as powder puff loadings with lead bullets. Brass is also a bit pricy, but lasts a long time. 256 Brass is hens teeth and making it is a PITA... YES I have made a bunch mine did not last long.

All in all as cool as the 256 might seem I would suggest the 25/20 over it.

Best of luck with the project!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quatroclick

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I will order a hornet ejector and I think 25-20 sounds like the way to go.  I like the idea of using a nut at the breech end, sounds a lot simpler than threading the stub itself and fitting the barrel.  Anybody use a 12 ga. barrel for the stub?

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 02:31:25 PM »
Got a method I hope to get around to trying.  Fella I read of had a TCR83 I think it was, used a 12ga. barrel for the stub and a whole bunch of take-off barrels in various calibers.  His method was to turn the barrel shank to fit the stub barrel and used a total of 6 setscrews, 3 in each side of the lug, drilled from the bottom at an angle toward the rear of something like 80 degrees or so for the rearward tension.  He wound up with a whole set of changeable barrels in calibers that TCR never made, each with its own scope all sighted in.  Yeah I know pics would be great but I don't even have the magazine any more.  Goat

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 03:48:43 PM »
Defineately a fun project!!

I have a couple 25/20's and had a couple 256 mags as well!  I say had because the Marlin 62 went to a collector friend of mine for a awefully tidy sum. ;) (I did not want to sell be he had more $$ than sence and inspire of my objections he won out with presistance and larger offers) the second one was a Contender, both where good shooters and that contender was a exceptional shooter with 75g Sierras!  BUT both where plagued with same issues. You cannot "push" them at all. The 25/20 although has fragile brass is more loading friendly. It's able to be pushed to very respectable velocities as well as powder puff loadings with lead bullets. Brass is also a bit pricy, but lasts a long time. 256 Brass is hens teeth and making it is a PITA... YES I have made a bunch mine did not last long.

All in all as cool as the 256 might seem I would suggest the 25/20 over it.

Best of luck with the project!

CW

One of the most respected Gunzine writers, experimenter , gun nut,once commented the 25-20 was the most efficient cartridge for the amount of components contained of all the cartridges out there today...Jist thought I'd throw that in...have owned three of them and hankering to find one again..
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline handishooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 07:57:51 PM »
I actually got lucky on my .256 brass, I found 1000 rnds of once fired 22 rem jet brass, cheap, at a gun show. I expanded out the necks to hold a .257 bullet and fire formed them with a light load of bullseye and a 60 gr cast bullet. Worked like a charm and was a lot quicker then forming them from 357 brass.