Author Topic: broke my L.N.L.AP PRESS TODAY  (Read 775 times)

Offline savage308

• Trade Count: (1)
broke my L.N.L.AP PRESS TODAY
« on: April 22, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »
well i usually use rcbs case lube pad but i thought i would try hornady spray case lube to speed things up.
What a big mistake . followed the directions let it dry for 1 minute and the very first case stuck in the sizing die and it also broke the large main shaft under the shell plate. now im contacting hornady to get warranty info . anyone else had the same trouble with this lube?

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: broke my L.N.L.AP PRESS TODAY
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:11:56 PM »
Wow! I've had a few stuck cases over the years that resulted in pulling the rim off the case, but can't imagine the ram breaking!! For my rifle cases I used the RCBS lube pad for a few decades, never had a case to stick that I lubed with it. Currently I use Imperial Sizing Wax for rifle loading. I tried the "One Shot" and promptly got a stuck case loading 5.56. I still use it, but use it on pistol cases loaded on carbide dies to make the press run smoother.  Some swear by the spray lubes, I'll not take another chance on rifle rounds! Sorry about your press problems. I'll bet it will be taken care of by Hornady. Good Luck.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »
Sorry about your problem. Hornady should take care of you. I have never had a problem with One-Shot, but have with other lubes. I line up 10 or so on a lube pad, cover the necks with my finger, and spray, roll over, spray again and let dry for a few minutes. You may never use it again, and I dont blame you based on your problem, but it has worked for me.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 06:17:55 PM »
I tried it once a bunch of years ago and stuck a case. I haven't used it since and went back to th RCBS pump spray bottles. I've never stuck a case using it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:22:20 PM »
im not much of a fan of spray lubes. About the only one ive had decent luck with is the lee version. As to the lnl thats a common problem on them. Ive got 3 of them and havent had one break yet but ive heard of many who have.
blue lives matter

Offline savage308

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 06:10:46 AM »
hornady promptly sent me repair parts to fix my press and told me they doubted it was the spray lube that caused the problem BUT im sure it was. will go back to the old slow rcbs lube pad that has never let me down . thanks for the replies.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 07:41:27 AM »
Imperial Wax.  Much better than the RCBS pad/lub.  I bought one can of it a couple years ago, probably have used 1/100th of the can and I reload quite a bit. Run a finger across the top of the can of wax, rub a piece of brass between fingers, size, lube 3-5 more pieces of brass and maybe you might need to run finger across the wax again.

My RCBS pad/lube has been taking up space ever since.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 06:45:40 AM »
Dillon spray lube (lanolin and alcohol base) and imperial sizing die wax are the only lubes in my reloading room that get any use.  Dillon's spray is nice as the alcohol quickly evaporates and leaves a fine lanolin film on the brass.  Imperial sizing die wax is the .....DARN GOOD STUFF!!  I use a lot of it.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline davem270win

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 09:47:13 AM »
Imperial wax is the way to go, in my opinion. Faster and less mess than a pad, better than the sprays.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 11:57:17 AM »
I tried One Shot. I bought 2 cans of it,. I almost stuck a case on the first try at it. I have not tried it since. I used RCBS Case Lube II before that on a pad and now use RCBS Case Lube II on a pad. I hate the mess, but love the results. I have never stuck a case with it and I have resized cases from one size to another with it, some of it was fairly heavy sizing. What I also like about it, is I can wash it off with warm water so I can use it on the inside of case mouth. The biggest thing I have to watch, is getting too much on and denting a shoulder here and there. I have gotten much better at it over time. But the biggest thing is, it works and does not stick cases and it is so easy to clean up.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline ratdog

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 07:52:21 PM »
tryed the on shot spray lube on my 223 reloads two stuck cases right of the bat chucked that crap in the garb. back to rcbs. ;)

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 11:01:51 AM »
To speed things mix the lee size lube, alchol with a pinch of dish soap. Put is a spray bottle. Put cases in a gallon ziplock bag and squirt some. Mix and take the brass out and let dry. Resize with no worries. Have run thousands of 223 this way. Works.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 12:02:14 PM »
Imperial Wax.  Much better than the RCBS pad/lub.  I bought one can of it a couple years ago, probably have used 1/100th of the can and I reload quite a bit. Run a finger across the top of the can of wax, rub a piece of brass between fingers, size, lube 3-5 more pieces of brass and maybe you might need to run finger across the wax again.

My RCBS pad/lube has been taking up space ever since.

This is exactly what I have done the last few times I have loaded some rounds. I still have the RCBS pad and lube on standby though.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 12:33:21 PM »
  I've been useing Imperial for MANY years, It is my "go to lube" for all of my heavy case forming...  Anymore won't even try anything else!

DM

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 01:08:09 PM »
There are two Lee products I enjoy.  The first is their hand primer and the other is their case lube.  It comes in a tube and is white.  I place a dab of it on top of my left hand and touch a case neck or finger to it before smearing it around the shoulder and neck.  When I am finished, I can get the remaining lube back into the tube without difficulty.  Works like a charm for me.  Clean and no messy fingers or cases, no waste and no clean up.