Author Topic: pallet wood stock  (Read 588 times)

Offline Dave Pitcher

• Trade Count: (0)
pallet wood stock
« on: April 14, 2012, 01:14:23 AM »
Patience again, please.

I'm 69 years old and have had a lifetime of experience with primarily bolt actions (mainly wood chuck hunting) and using shotgun and slugs for deer hunting as mandated in my part of NYS until a few years ago.  Also did the muzzle loading thing. 

But, even before rifles became legal for my area, I had tired of the muzzle loading and shot gun slug hunting and decided to do as Thoreau suggested, "Simplify, simplify."  So I bought a Pardner slug gun, sent it out and got a 45/70 barrel for it and used the 45/70 for deer hunting before rifles were legal. (I mean, pretty hard for anyone to tell a Pardner 20. ga. from a Pardner 45/70 out there in the woods and I hunt on on my own land and the neighboring farms.) Anyway, I would put a few cartridges in my pocket, grab the knife and w/ the Handi 45/70 it became the most enjoyable deer hunting I had ever experienced. 

I also have a H&R BC Colt 45 and a Handi .22 Hornet.

BUT-I have strayed from my original intent of this post---what is "pallet wood" as in "pallet wood stocks?"

Thanks for reading and for your explanations.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: pallet wood stock
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 01:23:19 AM »
Morning Dave,

Its kind of a "term of endearment" or "tounge in cheek" description...
Pallet wood being trashy inexpensive wood used for wooden pallets...

On par with the quality of the hard wood stocks on basic model handis and shotguns from NEF and H&R...  ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dave Pitcher

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 01:38:43 AM »
Got 'ya! Thanks.  I sure never saw a pallet that would make a good stock.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 06:33:55 PM »
Got 'ya! Thanks.  I sure never saw a pallet that would make a good stock.
You mean you never heard of the coupla guys that made a fortune selling furniture (This End Up Furniture Company - http://www.thisendup.com/ ) out of pallet wood? 

Maybe we could form a company and make "pallet wood" laminated stocks. ;D
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.