Author Topic: Thanks  (Read 561 times)

Offline squirrel_hunter6

• Trade Count: (0)
Thanks
« on: February 12, 2004, 04:25:53 AM »
:grin:   Thanks for the suggestions.  :grin:

I tried to do a little research on the internet about all the calibers that have been mentioned. Huntsman made a good point when he said to look for a gun that has more potential than just 75 yards.

The .243, 25-06, and the 7mm-08 seem to be the mos popular out of all the calibers mentioned. The 25-06 appears to be the flattest shooting and has 120 grain bullets that seem to be well recommended by other sources. By the way I don't reload so, I would like a caliber that won't break me whenever I buy a box of ammo.

I looked at the Winchester, Remington, and Browning websites to get a feel for how much a good gun would cost. I have a tight budget and it looks to me like I need to spend about $700  :shock: for a good bolt action rifle. I want to get a good quality rifle that I can use and enjoy for many years to come. Is their any one particular brand that is the best?

:-) Thanks again for the info!  :D
Squirrels are my game but, Jesus is my LIFE!   8)

Offline squirrel_hunter6

Thanks
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 04:32:41 AM »
:oops:  Oops! I ment to post a reply to "Woods gun with Mild Recoil" not make a new topic!!!  :oops:
Squirrels are my game but, Jesus is my LIFE!   8)

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 12:24:46 PM »
My personal preference is Ruger model 77, then Winchester model 70, but lots of folks do well with remingtons and Brownings.

Question: why buy new? You can find a good used Ruger or Winchester for around $400, sometimes less if you look hard enough! And you have all year to buy one since deer season is over, right. Go to your local gun shop and ask to see a variety of rifles and find which one "feels right". Then you can know better what to look for. Sometimes some gun ranges will rent you rifles which would be even better so you could make a good choice, one that is right for you...

Also, if $$ is an issue, as it always is for me, then why do you need a bolt action? Have you looked at some of the single shots? Check out the New England Firearms/ H&R guns. They make a nice and economical single shot offered in all the calibers mentioned and you could probably get a new one for around $250-just check any of the online auction sites. I bet if you took a poll, most successful hunters will tell you that they almost NEVER need more than one shot anyway and a single shot will force you to be a better hunter, making that 1st shot count! And if you are hunting heavily wooded areas you probably will rarely have a chance for a follow up shot anyway, right? I know in the past 5 years of chasing deer in the open areas of west Texas, I have only needed a follow up shot once, so a single shot would have been just fine! If you are wanting a fancy single shot check out the Ruger model #1 or the Model #3(no longer in production, but available used and VERY nice little guns!!) Another bonus to the NEF/H&R"s is that on some models the barrels are interchangable, I think-so you can go from the rifle barrel in on caliber to another caliber and I even think you can switch to shot gun barrels on some-but don't quote me on that. Hopefully someone with more experience with these guns will clarify...

Wow, I think I just talked myself into selling my Savage 99 in 243 and picking up a NEF in 25 06!! Or maybe a Ruger #! in 25 06...
Anyone wanna trade?

Good luck with what ever you decide!
Dave

Offline flintlock

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 12:26:59 PM »
I've got 4 buddies that have bought the Remington 700 synthetic...carbon
steel barrel....they all shoot good...two were .243 and two .270...
the 700 will run about $400-420...the trigger is pretty easy to adjust..
to about 2 1/2 to 3 lbs...the only disadvantage...a blind magazine...
or you have to run the bullets through the chamber to unload....
some of the more expensive custom guns are made this way
because it saves weight and the stock is more rigid...
if you leave the gun locked up...not a big problem...but always
unload the chamber...by the way...one of these was the youth
model..with a 20 inch instead of 22 inch barrel in .243...it grouped
Hornady 100 gr into 1/2 inch at 100 yds...my buddy killed a nice
(19 inch inside spread) buck the first week with this gun....
he had bought for his daughter...he is about 5'8"....it fit him
well...after he saw how it shot he took it instead of his 30/06...
two weeks later his daughter shot a nice doe (her first)with this gun...
flintlock

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 08:40:13 AM »
Squirrel,

Just today I ran across a Winchester model 70 in .243 with a $300 price tag on it--not too bad shape either-point is, you can find 'em if you just take your time and look for 'em-don't be in a hurry! Of course you could always buy the new NEF in what ever caliber you want for under $300...

hope this helps

Dave

Offline flintlock

The 25-06 appears to be the flattest shooting
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 09:46:27 AM »
Check out the 85gr BTHP...Federal Premium loads...talk about flat
shooting!!![/quote]