Author Topic: Stiff spru release and breaking mould handles  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Stiff spru release and breaking mould handles
« on: March 31, 2012, 02:14:47 AM »
Yesterday, with the boys out of school on Spring break, they decided to rummage around the house, at 1 AM no less, and woke my sorry butt up.  I could not go back to sleep.  So I got up groggy, went out to the garage, fired up the smelting pot, and attempted to pour some bullets.  I pre-warmed the moulds on a coffee maker hot plate as the pot heated its 20-pounds of alloy then moved each mould I wanted to use to the top of the pot prior to use.  I started with what is typically a very good 6-cavity aluminum 380 ACP mould, but it would not cut the spru and I "sprayed" hot (but solidified) spru all over the garage floor while forcing the handles apart.  That didn't work so I got the other aluminum single cavity 357 wad cutter mould heated up it too wouldn't cut the spru, so much so that I broke the right side wooden handle with too much applied hand pressure while banging on the spru plate with a cut-off wooden paddle handle.  Now I get concerned.  So I get the 45 ACP hollow point mould heated up and it wouldn't cut the spru either.  These three moulds have been very good to me in the past.  In one hour I didn't pour a single usable bullet, busted handles on two moulds, and have lost confidence in the process.  Moulds too cold maybe?  The alloy, when air cooled, is BHN 10-14.  Not enough coffee maybe?  Planets not well aligned?  It is too exhaustive to just beat these things to death, figuratively, when they don't comply.  I quit in frustration, turned off the pot and am now wondering what to do?

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Stiff spru release and breaking mould handles
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 02:16:51 AM »
More heat, man. You need more heat. Get everything up to the correct temperature and it'll be just fine.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 03:33:45 AM »
More heat, man. You need more heat.

You must be a "Fifth Element" man too...I will add heat.  Thanks!

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 03:50:42 PM »
LO, as usual I learned the hard way when I recently got back into casting.  Broke mine in the first batch, learned not to wait around, cut while the lead is still somewhat soft.  Guess if the mold or melt is too cold it's not good, I was doing mine outside on a cool day.  Goat

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 10:14:36 PM »
more heat then try again. ;)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 04:15:56 AM »
More heat to the mould did the trick.  Hot moulds cut through the spru with practically zero difficulty, as intended.  Lesson Learned.  Thanks!

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 09:27:52 PM »
I just ran into the same prob. I take my propane torch with me to the outside casting table.  Even after I get the moulds hot (there lee 6 cav) I heat the sprue cutter. Couple times it wasant enough and I just melted the lead in the sprue cutter. Outside temp has been around 45 to 55 deg.

Gun Runner

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 02:03:34 AM »
yup you have to be a bit faster cutting the spruce. especially on those small 380 bullets. Those small bullets combined with an aluminum mold mean there going to set up FAST.
blue lives matter

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:52:13 AM »
To All,

I must amend my earlier response to say not only the mould, but more importantly, both the mould AND the spru cutter must have the necessary heat in order to operate effectively and as intended.  Lesson Learned.

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 08:29:18 PM »
yep more heat lube the screw with a little adlox don't get in mold cavity good luck bubby. ;)