Author Topic: Not "in a few years"...  (Read 468 times)

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Not "in a few years"...
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:09:31 AM »
  Social Security is busted now;
  http://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2010/08/09/not_in_25_years_social_security_is_bankrupt_now_98611.html

Still, the Obama administration refuses to do a thing about it! They have offered NO PLAN to save SS..they  haven't even produced a budget for the 3 years Obammy has been in office! It causes one to ask if this is exactly what they intended to do...

Paul Ryan's plan would save both SS and Medicare..(which Obama took $500 billion from). 
    http://www.minnpost.com/dc-dispatches/2012/03/ryan-budget-plan-lower-spending-lower-taxes-and-changes-medicare

So what do these smug, self-centered whiz kids do?  THey  attack the ONLY plan offered!!!
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Gary G

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Not "in a few years"...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 04:52:40 AM »
Yes, SS is busted and the politicians will do nothing. The whole debt based ponzi system is flawed and will implode as all such schemes do eventually. Government interventionism is doomed from the start as proven by von Mises. Politicians, who know, will not tell you the unpleasant things because their personal interest is to get re-elected and all workers work for their own personal interest. So they will kick the can down the road hoping that the eventual demise comes on the next persons watch; and they will probably blame capitalism which we have not had since 1913.
The sole purpose of government is to protect your liberty. The Constitution is not to restrict the people, but to restrict government.  Ron Paul

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

“Everyone wants to live at the expense of the State. They forget that the State lives at the expense of everyone.” — Frederic Bastiat

Offline magooch

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 05:31:52 AM »
Most of us didn't pay into the Social Security system as a matter of choice, but pay we did.  Then comes this idiot who has no plan to do anything but ruin the country by any means necessary.  Yes Social Security was in trouble already, so to make it all better, he and the compliant Congress decides that the remedy is to stop collecting part of the very funding that was feebly trying to do what it was designed to do.  By this logic, we should all quit paying our bills with the expectation that the economy will do much better for it and everything will be hunky-dory.  Does this give anyone a clue how far in the toilet we are?
Swingem

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 05:56:05 AM »
Crashing the system makes the left happy I guess. Where's the spin?
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 06:31:35 AM »
I'd love to see the whole thing break down.  Actually that's not true.  I'd love to see the system change so that people are given the freedom to be the masters of their own lives.  Educated and competent adults should be given the opportunity to opt out of government social programs that babysit them their entire life.  I can manage my own money better than congress, thanks anyway.

Sadly, even those who claim to be conservative won't sign onto this logic, too many of them need that check each month...

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 06:46:41 AM »
I'd love to see the whole thing break down.  Actually that's not true.  I'd love to see the system change so that people are given the freedom to be the masters of their own lives.  Educated and competent adults should be given the opportunity to opt out of government social programs that babysit them their entire life.  I can manage my own money better than congress, thanks anyway.

Sadly, even those who claim to be conservative won't sign onto this logic, too many of them need that check each month...

That's exactly what Ryan is trying to do... a gradual, voluntary tranfer to private plans.  http://www.roadmap.republicans.budget.house.gov/Issues/Issue/?IssueID=8521
 ...But the "control freaks' are attacking it!  Still they offer nothing of their own...not even a budget....(for 3 years).
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 06:58:45 AM »

That's exactly what Ryan is trying to do... a gradual, voluntary tranfer to private plans.  http://www.roadmap.republicans.budget.house.gov/Issues/Issue/?IssueID=8521
 ...But the "control freaks' are attacking it!  Still they offer nothing of their own...not even a budget....(for 3 years).
My understanding is that the proposal does not allow anyone to opt out of the system, only that they may be blessed with the opportunity invest roughly a third of the "tax" in a private account.  I guess I should thank them for generously granting me with the freedom to do something else with roughly 1/3 of my "tax"?

Here's an idea - How about you let me decide how to fund my own retirement?  Oh, that's right, you need my money because the whole thing is a pyramid scheme.  Declining birth rate and longer lifespans mean the lower levels of the pyramid aren't growning fast enough to pay off the upper levels.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 07:43:08 AM »
One of the big reasons SS is failing other than people living longer is it's use as slush fund for other projects like theVietnam war. The real issue here is that we cannot trust government to do the right thing with our money. Consider that a lot of stimulous money went for building up the level of police power in many states, Texas included. Now that that money is drying up where is the money to maintain the fancy police cars and new officers going to come from? most likely at the state/county level in the form of higher property taxes and more tickets.  I have a friend that worked for the civil service for long enough to retire and what she recieves every month is more money than she made monthly for the first 12 years working. More than $2000. a month. It really annoys her that this money is taxed. Ha! Of course she will vote democrat no matter what. I am no proponent of anarchy though and would like to see some accountability of govt. but as long as our choices are democrat/republican the overall picture is only going to change for the worst.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 07:43:51 AM »
  I see your point Duk but as I understand, the plan starts at a 33% opt out...moving toward complete opt out if desired.  Of course, as with any big goct program, the public would have to be "weaned" off it.
   At least that's how I saw it, but I could be wrong.  ...But even 30% is better than where we are at now..

Offline rickt300

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 07:47:31 AM »
And the same woman is recieving $1200. a month from Social security.  I believe there are also some insurance benefits also but am not sure about that. Taxing SS is also a real pain she has to endure also. Over $3200. a month wow must be nice.