Author Topic: Lube recipes (Felix?)  (Read 1724 times)

Offline hubcap

• Trade Count: (0)
Lube recipes (Felix?)
« on: January 15, 2004, 12:03:46 AM »
Any good recipes for bullet lube Rifle and mag. handgun use? I've heard that felix lube is good, but don't know the recipe. Do you? Thanx in advance.

Don
:D   GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME

Offline SGD

• Trade Count: (1)
Lube recipes (Felix?)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 03:56:29 AM »

Offline nathan

Lube recipes (Felix?)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 04:35:04 AM »
I've been using the Felix lube for about a year now, and really like it.  For about $20, I got enough materials to make a short lifetimes worth of lube.  After looking at what the commercial stuff was costing, it was a no-brainer.
“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” Mark Twain

Offline waksupi

Lube recipes (Felix?)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 05:24:34 AM »
Felix Lube formula

2T mineral oil
1 T castor oil
1 T Ivory, or homemade soap
1T Lanolin
Beeswax - Piece approximately 3 1/2" X 3 1/2" X 1 "

Heat mineral (baby) oil until it starts to smoke.
Add castor oil, and stir continuously for 1/2 hour
Sliver the soap, and stir into the mixture a little at a time, until melted.
Add lanolin
Add beeswax

1 t. of carnuba wax can be added to give a shiny bore. This can be found on the seal of Makers Mark whiskey, or the red wax on cheese from the supermarket.

Once made, let cool. This can be remelted in a microwave, and poured into the lubrisizer.

Go to

http://www.castpics.net/RandD/felix_lube/felix_lube.htm

for tips on refinement of the formula.

Offline stocker

T or t-the same or different and which?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 09:27:25 PM »
Waksupi:

Question of detail; does a "T" indicate a tablespoon and a "t"a teaspoon or do they mean the same and you just didn't capitalize one? Could you clarify which measurement you are referring to for me? Tablespoon or teaspoon ????or both????

Thanks, it's the most succinct report of the recipe I've seen. Printed all of the Castpics correspondence some time back and came away mightily confused as to which of the variations became the final recipe.

Offline waksupi

Lube recipes (Felix?)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 04:59:27 AM »
Yep, big "T" is tablespoon, little "T" is teaspoon. Keep it in mind if you ever try to make Great Aunt Minnies' fruitcake. That's how they are always written in a recipe.

Offline stocker

Lube recipes (Felix?)
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 07:08:16 AM »
Waksupi: Thanks. I actually referred to some cook books but the ones I have either spell out the words completely or use "tsp"(alternately "teasp")  or "tbsp" . Perhaps Aunt Minnie had her own shorthand for writing up her recipes .  Now when it came to adding the rum and brandy did a little "c" indicate a cup and a big "C" a cask? That would be a stimulating confusion. :wink:

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Lube recipes (Felix?)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 08:14:52 AM »
Where to purchase the lanolin and bee's wax?
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Lube recipes (Felix?)
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 11:41:01 PM »
make sure that when you get lanolin you get the anhydrous kind. I made the mistake of using water based lanolin for my first batch and found that the lube dried out and fell off the bullets. any pharmacy shoul be able to get it for you.
blue lives matter

Offline Shoot!

Super Dax 100% Lanolin
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004, 01:47:27 PM »
Does anybody know if this ethnic hair conditioner is anhydrous lanolin?

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Lube recipes (Felix?)
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2004, 06:48:58 PM »
I am having some trouble finding pure anhydrous lanolin.  The only item I have found is for breast feeding mothers and goes for about $10.00 for 2 oz.  Makes the endeavor seem somewhat spendy.  Does anyone care to share where they are buying the lanolin?
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Lube recipes (Felix?)
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2004, 04:47:18 AM »
sgtt:
try   www.selectoils.com/soaps/lanolin.htm  .  I've never ordered from them. Their address came up on my google search. Apparently there are several grades of purity, and bullets aren't babies (in most cases). Good luck. 8)

Offline Jim L.

Lube recipes (Felix?)
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2004, 05:17:41 PM »
Ordered my lanolin from Walmart pharmacy for $22 per LB. Have made about 30 1x4 sticks of lube with at least 1/2lb left.
Jim

Offline Shoot!

Lube recipes (Felix?)
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2004, 05:26:40 PM »
Quote from: talon
sgtt:
try   www.selectoils.com/soaps/lanolin.htm  .  I've never ordered from them. Their address came up on my google search. Apparently there are several grades of purity, and bullets aren't babies (in most cases). Good luck. 8)

Talon,
This is a heck of a one-stop shop considering they also carry beeswax, castor oil and sodium stearate...

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Lube recipes (Felix?)
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2004, 06:37:57 AM »
Shoot!,
  I use a mix of caster oil and lanolin to swage jacketed bullets. It's the best lub for that kind of work I've found.  At one time I used to get my supplies from a drugstore, but found that I was paying for costly medical quality supplies. "Run-of-the-mill" quality costs far less.  Select oils sells their lanolin for $9.50/lb, and even less for quantity. This is the least I've seen it advertised for. 8)