Author Topic: Offshoring Jobs - Big Blue at it again  (Read 179 times)

Offline scootrd

• Trade Count: (0)
Offshoring Jobs - Big Blue at it again
« on: April 25, 2012, 02:56:08 AM »

Wonder what they will will do when there is no US employees left to cut. It's not like they are actually producing more widgets to account for profit. it's only being acquired through offshoring of labor.   

Robert X. Cringely

Though IBM completely denied that 2007 column, the more telling response came from an
IBM senior manager I bumped into a few months later. “You busted us,” he said.

Robert X. Cringely
This is my promised column about IBM — the first of several on the topic, all to be delivered this week.  The last time I wrote at length about Big Blue was in 2007.  I have been asked by readers many times to revisit the subject, something I haven’t wanted to do because it is such a downer. Writing the last time I hoped the situation, once revealed, would improve. But it hasn’t. And so, five years later, I turn to IBM again. The direct impetus for this column is IBM’s internal plan to grow earnings-per-share (EPS) to $20 by 2015. The primary method for accomplishing this feat, according to the plan, will be by reducing US employee head count by 78 percent in that time frame.

Reducing employees by more than three quarters in three years is a bold and difficult task. What will it leave behind?  Who, under this plan, will still be a US IBM employee in 2015? Top management will remain, the sales organization will endure, as will employees working on US government contracts that require workers to be US citizens. Everyone else will be gone. Everyone.

http://www.cringely.com/2012/04/not-your-fathers-IBM/
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant