Author Topic: Lee Loaders and daft shipping costs.  (Read 687 times)

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Lee Loaders and daft shipping costs.
« on: April 25, 2012, 08:15:40 AM »
Some time back I acquired a Lee Unitized Loader in 280 Rem. Well recently I found out that Lee made differing versions of the Lee Loader and decided I would like to acquire a couple more in differing guises and searching  a certain web site found a normal Lee Loader in un-used condition for the 270 Winchester cartridge and a Zero Error Target Loader in 25-06. made enquires and it all came crashing to a halt as it seems shipping to the UK is going to cost almost $50 US. Now the Zero Error one is in a slightly larger box and will not fit into the small USPS Priority Mail flat rate box but the normal one will but it seems they must use the medium size flat rate box which seems strange to me. One vendor says the small box is not priority mail when it clearly says on the small box "Priority mail" . Hmmmmmm  ??? .

Oh well the question is how common are these in S/H shops etc

As they don't weigh an awful lot I wonder why one cannot be put into a padded "Jiffy" bag and sent normal air or eve surface mail.

Paying $47.85 for the medium flat rate box then the customs this side of the pond and tax makes them rather expensive. never had this trouble buying dies from the US before nor with that .280 Rem Unitized Loader which cost £16.p5 in shipping.

Your thoughts?

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
Re: Lee Loaders and daft shipping costs.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:54:16 AM »
  I have sent many items to England, Europe, and many other countries using First Class International, I think the weight limit is near 4 pounds maximum.
 Most small packages under 1 pound cost from 5 to 10 dollars US to send.
  Jed
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline Old_School

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »
From my experience, you DO NOT want to use the Priority Mail flat rate box when shipping to the UK. I shipped a 2# (approx) item earlier this year & shipping by parcel post was about $28 vs about $50 via Priority Mail.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 02:03:39 PM »
Thank you. That's sort of what I figured. Now I just have to find one of these somewhere where they will send it by sensible means.  The search begins  ;D .

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:23:29 AM »
You guys are a bit off on Priority mail to the UK.  A small fate rate box looks like it will hold 2 dies sets and is about $17 to ship to the UK.

I ship motorcycle stuff there from time to time and the small stuff isn't too bad to ship.  It's when the box get big the price really gets outrageous.

Tony

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 11:52:27 AM »
Sadly due to the size of the box which the Lee Loader comes in only one will fit into the small flat rate box.

This afternoon I brought a std Lee Loader fr the 270 Winchester off the auction site for $10.49. The seller does ship to the UK and his charge was post and packing the Lee Loader was $19.88 US. Not so bad as some others are after. Hopefully it will be here next week.

Now we just have to find a nice Zero Error Lee Loader  ;D .