Author Topic: Centerfire reciever, rimfire barrel, shotgun primer = breech loader single shot  (Read 3311 times)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Great minds think alike!
Some 30yrs ago I did similar with a 22LR match target pistol: 22 pellet push seated into the rifling (with a custom turned rod for depth) backed by 22 blanks. It was wonderfully accurate for basement practice, and would have played havoc with small vermin. Blanks were terribly expensive even then........I wasnt aware of those #57 primers.
Maybe time to do a custom stubbed match 22 or 177 barrel (use a Ruger 1022 replacement barrel with the chambered end bobbed off) and turn a 209 primer seat in it.
Easiest projectiles would be bulk packed lead BB, for 177 (they do make them), and maybe a lead shot size would correlate to the 22 bore close enough to turn a ball seat ahead of the primer seat. Just drop a ball in, follow with primer, close & shoot.
Lordy.....now you got me doin' it......... :P
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
Any updates/range reports to this project guys?
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
I have shot both combinations with good effect.....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
so the versa pak barrell alows one to fire rimfires on a sb1 or sb2 frame? but will not work with this trick. can someone post a pic of #57 primer alongside #209 primer so those of us new to this game can see the difference? thanks, mike.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Mike they look almost identical to the naked eye, the only difference is the #57 shotgun primer is a couple of thousandts smaller in diameter than a newer #209 shotgun primer. You can use a #57 primer and a .22 caliber pellet in a standard .22 LR barrel. If you have a .22 Mag you can use the newer #209 shotgun primer and a .22 caliber pellet....<><.... :)

Edited for the correct answer, you cannot use a Versa Pak barrel for this "breech loader" setup. As has been earlier explained, the chamber in a VP barrel cannot be lined up correctly with either a rimfire or centerfire reciever to strike the shotgun primer....a quote from an earlier post on the preceeding page follows:

"Got a chance to check out the alignment of the VersaPak chamber in relation to a rimfire firing pin, it won't work. The VP chamber is lower then center and the rimfire firing pin is higher than center. If a VP barrel is placed on a rimfire receiver the firing pin strikes above the back of the cartridge, missing the cartridge completely. If fired the firing pin would strike the solid steel breech end of the barrel and most likely be damaged, don't do it."
.........sorry for any confusion....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
soooooo.....as long as you're throwing a primer in there, how about a few grains of ______?
Got:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
I guess a couple of grains of Pyrodex  or Ttrail Boss would not hurt. Just stop or back off if accuracy begins to deteriorate....<><....:)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
You are likely to 'blow the skirt off' the pellet. That, lodged in the bore, becomes the dreaded bore obstruction..........and a more complex meaning to 'leading' and its removal.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
that is a concern, that is why solid head pellets are preferred to hollow points, less of a chance of blowing right through the pellet. So far with no propellant other than the shotgun primer there has not been a problem...<><.... :)

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
Here is a link on rimfirecentral about using Pyrodex in a .22lr case....
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446005

Here is the youtube video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wRDXp36Qkw
Got: