Author Topic: 10mm revolver?  (Read 2050 times)

Offline 222

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
10mm revolver?
« on: January 03, 2012, 05:54:36 PM »
I have a 1911 Dan Wesson RZ10 in 10mm I is very great pistol but I hate chasing brass and really like S&W revolvers. I have been thinking of trading it for a 610 or 310 with a snub nose 4 inches or less. But I have never used moon clips and concerned about using them. This would be mainly a trail gun and home defense mainly.  I am thinking of staying with 10mm do to coffee can of brass and dies but also load 44 mag as well if moon clips are a pain to use. Often I shoot a few rounds at a time  as situation is over. Your thoughts are welcome. Thank-you

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: 10mm revolver?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 01:00:47 AM »
moon clip guns are some of my favorites. I have two 625s and have had a 610, which by the way was probably the most accurate 6 gun ive ever owned and had one of the 646 .40sw guns. I like moon clips. I can load up 50 or so at home and go to the range and when im shooting my brass is ejected in 6 round bundles which makes it much easier to pick up. theres also no faster way to reload a revolver. Im now on a fixed income and mostly buy guns i feel i need, not guns i want, if not id be hot to buy one of the nightguard 610s. It would make a heck of a good self defense gun and even a good gun for bumming the woods and hunting.
blue lives matter

Offline mak43

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 11:28:25 AM »
Moonclips aren't a big deal. Much easier to use ( for me ) than speedloaders or stips. I have a 25 Smith in 45 acp and a Taurus revolver in 9mm. A local pawnshop has a 610 I have been drooling over. Hoping it sells before my next trip there !
”Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware.”
~Alan Korwin

Offline benny123

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:59:56 PM »
"10mm revolver"

Consider the 38-40 cowboy cartridge.  If you think the cartridge is lackluster, do a search including "Linebaugh" online

Though it maybe not what you are looking for, contemporazing this dusty cartridge into a silhouette is pretty intriguing.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 12:56:31 AM »
"I am thinking of staying with 10mm do to coffee can of brass and dies"... Good idea.  Your 10mm auto will outperform your 10mm revolver.  If you want to pack a revolver and don't want to fiddle with moon clips or half moon clips then get a 4&5/8" Ruger 41 Magnum or a 4" S&W 41 Magnum. 

In a home or personal defense situation the muzzle blast from a 10mm revolver will set you in line for a hearing aid.

If your main complaint is about chasing brass then make yourself a brass catcher or purchase one of those that hang off your wrist.  I have a old fishnet I used to use but converted it to a brass catcher.  I just made a large 'cone' of screening wire that fit into the net and jam the bottom of the handle into a 4' or 5' extension pole and jam that into the ground next to where I am shooting and I don't lose my brass anymore.  I love it since I shoot 38 Super and my 1911 in that caliber flings the empties into the next county, but now I can catch them before the get out of the parking lot......... HTH.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 01:26:23 AM »
i dont worry to much about muzzle blast indoors. If youve ever shot ANY handgun or better yet an ar15 indoors youd know that about any gun shot in a confined space and in the dark is going to about blind you and ring your ears! I think in the heat of something like that its would be a minor distraction at best. Ive got a loaded ar and a couple loaded handguns in the bedroom but the gun id grab if someone broke into my house is my 12 guage pump its set up with a light and my thoughts are id seldom have to recover from the shot and shoot again using it. OO buck has a tendency to end confrontations fast! Yup the 10mm is load but not one bit louder then a 357 mag and there used for home defense all the time.
blue lives matter

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 03:51:34 PM »
You all got me thinking a S&W 610 would go real nice with my Glock G20SF, so I went to S&W's web site and they don't show the 610's anymore. :'(

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 11:57:39 PM »
look under there nightguard series. They have one there.
blue lives matter

Offline 222

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 11:20:51 AM »
Finances are dictating that I may have to sell my 10mm. If I do I'm let you know. I know moon clip advange for speed loading but I often times I shoot 1 or 2 rounds and move on (like shooting a skunk or rattlesnake) then I have a half loaded revolver an no easy way to "top it off" with moons. If I selling I think I buy a 44 mag instead mainly so I can top it off and be fully loaded plus only one cal to cast and load for. Thanks to everyones input.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 12:43:45 PM »
10mm is great as a revolver.  Almost = to 41 mag.
The cool thing is with the 10mm since the moon clip becomes a rim you can shoot 40S&W out of your revolver much like you can shoot 38 Specials out of a 357 mag.
With that said.  If you are going to carry an N frame.  I would get a 44 Mag. I think it to be more versitle.  From 300 grain solids to 180 grain plinking special to actually shooting the 44 russian loads.
I load two loads for my 44 Mag.  One is a Plated 180 grain bullet at 1,000 FPS for targets, it is a hot special or about a 40 S&W  load  the other is a 240grain soft point at 1200 FPs for hunting.  The 240 load is equal to a 10mm load.  One is a hot special the other is a warm mag load and both are done from the same powder  and charge of Bluedot.  If I am headed into bear areas I have factory 300 grain hard cast loads by Federal.  But the light mag is more than enough for a deer or hog.  Speaking of Hog you can get a non lead 44 load if you plan on pig huniting in central Ca.
With a little practice a HKS speed loader is easy to use and to master.  Same movements as a full moon clip just add a finger snap to the HKS speed loader.
at the range a skeet bag works to dump my empties and move for some of the action shooting I have done with the revolvers to contain brass.

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 01:49:12 PM »
Lloyd, I went back to S&W's web site but still couldn't find any 10mm revolver including the Nightguard.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

look under there nightguard series. They have one there.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 11:53:54 PM »
your right. I took a look and didnt see it listed anymore either.
blue lives matter

Offline Axehandle

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 03:48:46 AM »
FWIW David Clements is once again converting the Ruger GP100 to 10mm..  I  have owned S&W 10mm revolvers and currently have 10mm 1911s, TC barrels and Ruger single actions.  My next 10mm will be a Clements custom..
http://www.clementscustomguns.com/rugerdarevolvers.html

Offline BAGTIC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 05:23:32 PM »
I have a Taurus 455 Tracker in .45 ACP. It is a very handy little gun and shoots as well as I do. The moon clips work fine but I also shoot .45 Cowboy rimmed cases in it so I can top off the cylinder if I only fire a couple shots.