Author Topic: NEF .22 Mag Sportster  (Read 1764 times)

Offline DeerSlayer777

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
NEF .22 Mag Sportster
« on: April 23, 2012, 10:09:58 AM »
Can anyone give me experiences, reviews, pics of groups, for the H&R/NEF Sportster .22 Mag? How accurate are they? Issues with them? Difficulty mounting optics, barrel heating .........?

Thanks

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: NEF .22 Mag Sportster
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:33:26 AM »
Great guns. I have one for my dedicated short range (100 yards and under) coyote gun for Maine. I have the one I use for that purpose set up with a survivor stock set, a sling, and a Millet Red Dot. I can shoot about 1" groups with it at 100 yards using Winchester silver box ammo and groups just a tiny bit larger (the coyotes never know) using CCI Maxi Mags. The .22 Mag H&R's are fine rifles....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:20:56 AM »
Andy's right on the money about them being great guns. I've owned 2 of them... one was an Ultra and the other was a standard Sportster. Both of them were very good shooters with a slight nod going to the Ultra.
I had real good luck with Dynapoints in both of mine. Shooting a quarter at 100 yds. was easy.
If you plan on using it for small game for the cook pot you need to stick to head shots. The mag will do alot of damage on body shots. I wouldn't hesitate to take anything up to the size of coyotes with it... the mag has plenty of power with proper placement. Don't hesitate on buying one... you'll like it.

Spanky

Offline DeerSlayer777

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:54:34 AM »
Great!! More input is appreciated. What rate of twist is in the .22 mag barrels? Is it fast enough to stabilize the heavier 40 and 50 grain bullets, especially the 50 grain?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 03:14:03 PM »
The FAQ's report the twist of both the .22 LR and the .22 WMR at 1 in 16". There were a couple of different rifling patterns over the years, micro groove and non micro groove as well. It is always best to try different ammo in your particular gun. My coyote .22 Mag likes 40 grain bullets best and does not do well with lighter bullets, but some report good accuracy with the lighter bullets. I would like mine to shoot the 50 grain Federal Game bullets better (for coyotes) but some members report their H&R .22 Mags like the 50's best. I have some Aquila 60 grain subsonics I am going to work with and try out a bit, I hope they shoot well. Try different ammo in your gun to find out what ammo your particular barrel likes best. You will enjoy it no matter what....<><.... :)

And by the way DeerSlayer777, welcome aboard buddy. Come often and stay late, there is always room around the campfire for another friend....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline DeerSlayer777

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 03:40:34 PM »
Thanks I appreciate the warm welcome! Its nice to see that some people still admire the elegance of a single shot firearm. :)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:36:41 AM »
Ive had my UV for some years, got it when I had two 22 Hornets and another 22 Mag, then got another Hornet in between. Guess which one is still here? I use mostly the WW Dynapoint 'flash plated' lead 45gr. HP (about $7/box of 50) sighted in at a tad high at 50yds. With WW 'real' mags HP or Solids, it its about 1" higher at 50 so it streches my range/-0- out to 100ish without a scope adjustment. Ive a box of those light high velo mags to try, but from initial playing around they will require substantial scope adjustment. Some report excellent accuracy with them, but you wont be able to switch back & forth with the heavies.
Mine now wears the wood from the .45Colt carbine and an old Weaver B-6 scope; it looks the part and plays well.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974