Author Topic: Inconsistent powder charges  (Read 967 times)

Offline jaymz

• Trade Count: (0)
Inconsistent powder charges
« on: May 04, 2012, 07:27:44 AM »
I have a Hornady LNL press that I bought a couple of years ago with the intentions to get into reloading. Long story short, I finally got the rest of the stuff I needed to get started. The only issue I'm having is with my powder drop. I'm trying to load 9.5 grains of Blue Dot for some Hornady 180g hollow points (10mm) and I can't get the drop consistent. I'm ranging from 9.2 up to 9.5. Most loads seem to be right in the middle at 9.3g. The best I can tell is that I'm having powder sticking to the inside of the rotor assembly. Is this to be expected? Powder is new, so I'm fairly certain it's not a moisture absorption issue, I've cleaned the powder drop rotor with carb cleaner (maybe brake cleaner - I can't remember off hand), so I'm sure that there isn't any type of oily residue causing the powder to stick. Is there a different cleaner to try that will maye work better? Static electricty issue? I'm not inclined to think so as I'm not having powder stick to the clear plastic resevoir. I guess I can live with the inconsistencies if it's normal as the load data doesn't vary much from 9.2g to the 9.5, but my understanding is that accuracy in rifle rounds especially, can be affected with that much variance. I plan on loading for .308, 6.8SPC and .22-250 soon and would like to at the very least duplicate the accuracy I have with factory loads and ideally, improve upon it. Thanks in advance, all.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Inconsistent powder charges
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 08:23:25 AM »
Actually .3 gr. variation ain't that bad. Perhaps wiping the rotar and associated parts with a dryer fabric softener sheet will eliminate any static that will make powder flakes cling to the measure interior...

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:53:06 AM »
Actually .3 grain does has some effect on accuracy----the difference in my nephews .40 cal. is the difference between hitting the dirt in front of a 30 yard target and hitting the target using bulleye powder----probably all depends on the gun and the powder. I'm not familiar with your press, but its the powder measurer and the type of powder that makes the difference. Ball powder and small flake powders dump rather well in most measurers---larger flake and stick powders have more problems. What powder are you using?

cybin

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 10:17:17 AM »
I have a Hornady LNL press that I bought a couple of years ago with the intentions to get into reloading. Long story short, I finally got the rest of the stuff I needed to get started. The only issue I'm having is with my powder drop. I'm trying to load 9.5 grains of Blue Dot for some Hornady 180g hollow points (10mm) and I can't get the drop consistent. I'm ranging from 9.2 up to 9.5. Most loads seem to be right in the middle at 9.3g. The best I can tell is that I'm having powder sticking to the inside of the rotor assembly. Is this to be expected? Powder is new, so I'm fairly certain it's not a moisture absorption issue, I've cleaned the powder drop rotor with carb cleaner (maybe brake cleaner - I can't remember off hand), so I'm sure that there isn't any type of oily residue causing the powder to stick. Is there a different cleaner to try that will maye work better? Static electricty issue? I'm not inclined to think so as I'm not having powder stick to the clear plastic resevoir. I guess I can live with the inconsistencies if it's normal as the load data doesn't vary much from 9.2g to the 9.5, but my understanding is that accuracy in rifle rounds especially, can be affected with that much variance. I plan on loading for .308, 6.8SPC and .22-250 soon and would like to at the very least duplicate the accuracy I have with factory loads and ideally, improve upon it. Thanks in advance, all.

First thing that I'd do is run about a cup full of powder through the unit , your problem is that it has not had time for the powder to lube the system , it takes some powder residue to make the drum SLICK enough to allow for an even / consistent powder drop .

2nd of all , keep the hopper at least 1/2 full , this will keep an even pressure on the powder and help it fill the rotor evenly .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline jaymz

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 11:00:55 AM »
Ball powder and small flake powders dump rather well in most measurers---larger flake and stick powders have more problems. What powder are you using?

cybin

I'm using Blue Dot right now. It's a disc shaped powder.

First thing that I'd do is run about a cup full of powder through the unit , your problem is that it has not had time for the powder to lube the system , it takes some powder residue to make the drum SLICK enough to allow for an even / consistent powder drop .

2nd of all , keep the hopper at least 1/2 full , this will keep an even pressure on the powder and help it fill the rotor evenly .

stimpy

Sounds reasonable. I'll give it shot and see what happens. Thanks.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 01:20:02 PM »
blue dot is just a poor metering powder. that said .3 of a grain of it when our loading 9 grains isnt going to make much differnce at handgun range. try hs6. Its close to the same burn rate and meters great.
blue lives matter

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 06:48:41 PM »
I have read between the lines and see two issues. One was mentioned, new measure. You do have to run a half reservoir thru new measure. Graphite from powder lubes the measure. You also have to establish a rythem to get consistent loads. Do you have a baffle in the measure?  That will help also.

I do a tap tap rythem with my RCBS and Lyman powder measures. I lift lever and tap tap at top of stroke to fill cavity and settle powder. On down stroke of measure I do firm tap when I hit bottom. This shakes any powder hung in spout down into the case. Sounds goofy but it works. My blue dot loads are within 1/10 or better. Most ball powders are as close as my scale can be.

Good luck.

Steve. :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 06:43:49 AM »
I follow Steve's routine and it seems to help with my measure..
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »
I think your issues have been covered already. New measure, keep reservoir at least half full ( a baffle aids the consistent down pressure, but you have to keep the powder above the baffle) and tap at the top and bottom of the stroke. I used to double tap at the dump side, but you have to be consistant - the same way each and every time. I use a Chargemaster 1500 now and do not have to put up with all that necessary nonsense.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 05:24:53 AM »
You can use graphite powder that you can buy at Lowes/HD and put it on a paper towel and give everything inside a coat. Graphite is in the powder formulation so it's not going to hurt or change anything.
I use an RCBS measure with the pistol cylinder and while I don't use Blue Dot, I do load a lot of Unique which is the same flake type powder. I have zero issues with it throwing it accurately. Like Steve, it gets a solid whack at the top of the stroke as well as at the bottom of the stroke. I've never found a more accurate measure than this one and I've got a double hand full of 'em including an old Lyman that actually has a clicker on it.

Offline jaymz

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 02:26:41 PM »
Graphgite powder and a q-tip did the trick. I imagine running a bunch of powder through the rotor would have worked as well, but I figured I'd speed up the process a bit. Gotta take my time when it actually comes to loading, so I figured I'd at least rush the break in. Thanks.