Author Topic: Button/Latch on H&R 280 Rem  (Read 886 times)

Offline Fred243

• Trade Count: (0)
Button/Latch on H&R 280 Rem
« on: April 24, 2012, 08:40:36 PM »
Over the weekend I picked up my new H&R 280 Remington and I found this one at Buds Gun Shop online. I think H&R only makes the barrel now and not the complete gun. My question is, the button you push to open the action seems to be messed up unless they were different when this gun was made. I bought another brand new H&R last October in 243 and the button on it is very different. The 280 one is almost down all the way and is hard to push and will only  move a very short distance before it opens the action. The 243 is sitting up about a 1/2 inch or so and must be pushed down before it unlatches the action. Is the 280 one messed up ? Will I have to ship it back to Buds or can I find a local gun shop that will fix it ? Thank you all !

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Button/Latch on H&R 280 Rem
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:18:36 PM »
Hello,
  If this is a brand new gun, I would return it to the factory.

If this is a used firearm, read the FAQ's on barrel fitting and you will see its is easily repaired.

What is happening is the latch is only just starting to engage the shelf. It should have contact of about 50% sounds like yours is far less and I'll bet it needs to be sharply snapped to get what you have. The reason its hard to depress is its jambing a bit.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 04:39:13 AM »
Fred243 - If it doesn't pop open when shooting, I would give it a "break in period" before sending the gun back to get repaired.  If it needs to be sent back, you should contact H&R and ask them to repair it under warranty, they most likely will send you a free shipping label.  The gun is brand new after all, it might just need to be shot in. 

One of the things about breaking in a new Handi is that your have to:

"2. Close the action with some force, when new this is extremely important, the latch and latch shelf need to mate and that doesn't happen real fast, takes some open and close cycles for the parts to get used to each other."

The above is from Handi Basics 101, if you get a chance, read it, it'll save you a lot of head scratching.  ;)  Link: http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,116451.0.htmlDon't go looking for problems, if you don't have any.  Good luck with the gun.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Fred243

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »
I have another question, if you add a barrel to an existing rifle another rifle barrel, due they etch the caliber on the left side of the barrel ? I read somewhere they did

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »
each and every factory barrel should display its factory caliber info.
only home brewed rechambers will not... or should i say might not !!!
mine will, can't tellya bout others here  ::)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »
Factory barrels are always stamped with the chambering designation, they also etch the last three digits of the frame serial number on the left side of the underlug when they fit a barrel to a frame, that's probably what you're thinking of.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred243

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »
Factory barrels are always stamped with the chambering designation, they also etch the last three digits of the frame serial number on the left side of the underlug when they fit a barrel to a frame, that's probably what you're thinking of.

Tim

Yes, that is exactly what i'm thinking of ! This gun was sold to me as being brand new and all the parts appear to be brand new but, I don't think this gun came from H&R in the chambering that it's currently in ! I bought the gun online and I have another H&R I bought last  Sep/Oct and it does not have this etching on the inside/left side. So I'm wondering who put this gun together, it seems to me that if the place where I bought it from did this that would explain why it doesn't seem to be working correctly. I guess I'll have to call H&R and see if they can help me. Hopefully they have records of all their barrels that have been fitted to a receiver and guns that they put together as complete guns. And HOPEFULLY they will honor their warranty on it even if it's not something they did. Can a gun dealer/FFL holder order just the barrels and not the complete guns ? :( :o

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 05:05:12 AM »
280 Rem is an H&R factory chambering, has been for a long time until they dropped it this year, I have one now, had another but sold it.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred243

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 06:39:10 AM »
Well, I knew at one time the 280 was a standard chambering but i didn't know when they stopped. I called them once a few months ago and they said they no longer make the rifle, just have the extra barrels. I didn't realize they just stopped this year. Thanks for your help !

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 05:25:10 AM »

Tim

Yes, that is exactly what i'm thinking of ! This gun was sold to me as being brand new and all the parts appear to be brand new but, I don't think this gun came from H&R in the chambering that it's currently in ! I bought the gun online and I have another H&R I bought last  Sep/Oct and it does not have this etching on the inside/left side. So I'm wondering who put this gun together, it seems to me that if the place where I bought it from did this that would explain why it doesn't seem to be working correctly. I guess I'll have to call H&R and see if they can help me. Hopefully they have records of all their barrels that have been fitted to a receiver and guns that they put together as complete guns. And HOPEFULLY they will honor their warranty on it even if it's not something they did. Can a gun dealer/FFL holder order just the barrels and not the complete guns ? :( :o
Fred243 - Just a point of clarification, are you saying that the gun you purchased online, has the numbers etched onto the barrel, and they match the last three of your serial number?  Or are you saying that the barrel does have the last three numbers of the serial number etched on the barrel?
 Or lastly are you saying that the gun doesn't have any numbers etched?

The reason, I'm asking is that,  I've seen new guns that come from the factory with matching numbers etched on the barrel, and without numbers on the barrel.  Lastly, I've even encountered  factory new guns that came from the barrel with the numbers stamped on the barrel.

I only point this out to you so you don't jump to conclusions, and assume that the gun wasn't factory assembled.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Fred243

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 12:21:30 PM »
Hey Tim, thanks for your help and the others as well, yes i was thinking the gun had been put together somewhere else and not from the factory.  I called the factory and they said it was put together there in 2010