Author Topic: Range day with the '61 Navy  (Read 1278 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Range day with the '61 Navy
« on: March 16, 2012, 07:10:32 AM »
After seeing how well my '51 shot I couldn't wait to get to the range to put the '61 on paper.  Boy, what a disappointment.   :(  4 to 6+ inch groups at 25 yards.

I tried 20 and 23 gr. loads (FFFG under a lubed wad and .380 ball) and the higher charge weight shot noticeably tighter groups.  Recoil was noticeably greater also.  The 20 gr. load is a nice mild thing to shoot.

I think I'll drop down to a starting charge of 18 gr. and move up in 2 gr. increments until I get to 24 gr.  With the over powder wad the cylinder is getting pretty full at that charge.

I hope that a group with each charge from each revolver will give me a load that I can use in either revolver.   :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline JSTRAW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Range day with the '61 Navy
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:59:53 PM »
Richard, good luck with your range tests. Do keep us updated. One question, do you also use a lube to seal the cylinders of your cap and ball revolvers?

Offline goodshot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »
Hi. Suppose it would help to do the Non-imbedding bore cleaner procedure to smooth up the 61 ?
I think of the 1861 Navy as the epitome of the .36 caliber cap and balls.
Best wishes,
 :)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 04:49:04 AM »
Don't know how I missed these posts...  :-\  Sorry it took me so long to answer,   :-[

do you also use a lube to seal the cylinders of your cap and ball revolvers?

Hey J!  No I don't.  I use a felt wad lubed with Jawja Tofu's #1 lube between the powder and ball.  Works really well!   ;)

Suppose it would help to do the Non-imbedding bore cleaner procedure to smooth up the 61 ?

Hey Goodshot!  I'm not all that sure why the '61 groups the way it does.   :-\  I'm just gonna shoot it a couple a three hundred more times tryin different stuff and see if it settles down.   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 05:27:39 AM »
"Jawa Tofu" ... dang ... he discovered my Star Wars name ...  >:(
Don't give up on that 1861 yet. I'd suggest you try smoothing the bore with JB Bore Cleaning Compound or Iosso Bore Cleaner (in a tube, with the consistency of toothpaste). Or you could just continue shooting it and the bore will smooth naturally from the slightly abrasive nature of black powder. This takes longer, though.
I've learned that some cap and ball revolvers take a few hundred rounds to "settle in." My most accurate C&B is an Uberti-made 1858 Remington in .44 caliber. It was also the most inaccurate when I first got it. At 25 yards, I could barely keep it on a 9" paper plate from a benchrest, when new, but now it will put six .454 balls or 200 gr. Lee conical bullets into 2" groups all day long, sometimes even better.
The Colts must be wedged together tightly, for best accuracy. If you can push the wedge out with thumb pressure, it's too loose. I take a clean gun, unfired, and gently tap the wedge in until the cylinder begins dragging slightly against the rear of the barrel. This reached, then I gently tap the wedge OUT just a hair, backing it away from the dragging.
New revolvers may not be loose enough for the above. As long as the wedge is in tighter than you can thumb-push it, it's all good.
You're on the right track, using a lubricated felt wad, FFFG black powder and .380" ball.
I'd suggest you measure the chamber mouths, and then the bore, for comparison. You may find that the chambers are smaller than the bore, a condition not conducive to best accuracy. This can remedied by having a gunsmith open the chamber mouths a bit, so the seated ball is slightly larger than the bore.
Remove the nipples from the cylinder, seat an oversized ball in each chamber, then gently drive out the ball with a scrap of brass welding rod or a brass drift. DO NOT use steel or you may mar the chamber. Brass is much softer and won't score the chamber wall. Measure the extracted balls with a micrometer.
Then, drive an oversized ball down the bore with a brass rod or hardwood 5/16" dowel and measure the ball.
Soft lead projectiles will upset a fair amount to fill out bores, so I wouldn't sweat chambers that are .0005smaller than the bore, but anything larger may require the services of a gunsmith.
But before you do all that, continue shooting and experimenting with loads. Like I said, it may take up to a few hundred shots for that revolver to settle in.
I purchased an Uberti-made 1861 from Cimmaron last fall. I've put less than 100 rounds through it, and it's delivering 3" groups at 25 yards. I smoothed the bore with Iosso Bore Cleaner and figure it will settle in to tighter groups with use. That's been my experience. Cimmaron selects Ubertis of high quality, then smooths them a bit before sale. The best price I found was from Buffalo Arms in Ponderay, Idaho. The fit and finish of this 1861 is outstanding. I'm waiting for warmer weather to try it in extended sessions.
Have patience with your 1861. Like my Uberti-made Remington, it may become one of your better-shooting guns.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:54:28 AM »
All good stuff there... as usual!   ;D

I'm going to shoot the '61 a bunch more before I start to worry, but I may try a few more of your suggestions in the meantime.   ;)

I do know that the throats are smaller then the bore... well, at least I think they are...  :-\  I slugged them once but didn't write the results down.   ::)  I hate being senile...  :-[
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 07:48:19 AM »
Yeah, I hate being senile too. The other day ... no wait ... it was 15 years ago ... and um ... I forgot what I was gonna say ... add two cups flour and stir in ... no wait, that's not it ... um ... I'll have to get back to ya ... forrrrrrr something ... which I can't recall right now ...  ???
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 08:35:06 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit