Author Topic: Supressed 20 gauge Handi-rifle barrel  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Irongoat

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Iron Goat Guns
Supressed 20 gauge Handi-rifle barrel
« on: April 28, 2012, 06:39:29 PM »
I kind of gather old barrels from anybody that doesn't want hem or want too much for them.  In the junk pile, I found and old rusty, nasty 20 gauge 3" 88 Topper barrel.  Checked it on my 500 Magnum Handi frame and it locked up well.  I have been kicking around the idea of a suppressed shotgun for several weeks.  I hit a good stopping place with my other suppressor work and went for it.

While I could just hang a big can on the end of a barrel, that would make a pretty long barrel, heavy and awkward with all that weight at the end.  Also since pretty much all 20 gauge factory ammo is supersonic, the amount of suppression would be limited more than I wanted.  So I decided to make a more or less integral suppressor.  It is in fact integral and permanently attached to the barrel.  It only adds about five inches to the barrel, but the OD of the can is 1.75 inches.  It LOOKS like a big suppressor from just in front of the foreend to out there to the next county.

But it WORKS!  It ain't slick like the big guys make cans, but I am pleased with it as a prototype. First two loads were Number 3 buckshot. -- wanted to see if it would hold together.  Then I shot a bunch of field loads.  To myself and two other observers, it sounded like a 16.5 inch .22 with something like CCI mini-mags.  Subjectively, behind the gun, it seemed much quieter.

I started out by drilling umpteen holes on 0.5 inch centers along the top and the bottom of the barrel.  To keep the rear (brass) bushing from moving back on the barrel, I brazed a ring larger than the ID of the bushing all the way around the barrel.  Then I reamed out the inside of 7 fairly heavy 1.5 inch fender washers to just fit over the barrel.  Each of these was welded two places on either side to the barrel.

The bushing (brass again)  that fits over the muzzle end of the barrel gave me a bit of a quandary.  Tried threading 3/4 x 10, but the barrel was to thin, as I quickly discovered.  On a rifle barrel suppressor built the same way I can use schedule 8 set screws turned into indentations drilled in the barrel.  Again, not much steel to work with. I  finally decided to notch the bushing where it met the barrel and put w bead of weld in two places on either side, making sure the notches were filled so the bushing could not turn on the barrel.

The outer tube is a piece of seamless double-walled aluminum with total wall thickness of .125 inch.  The end cap is a brass bushing that makes the far end of a small expansion chamber.  There is room there for about three baffles between the muzzle and the end cap, but I don't think I need them. 

After test firing, I decided I could drill a few more holes in the barrel.  Hopefully that will make it quieter without adding weight.  If I can bleed off enough gas to drop the velocity subsonic, it will definitely get quieter.

I am getting spoiled to suppressors, Besides reducing recoil -- with or without dropping velocity, it is nice to get the whump from a gun without all the bang.

(Type 7 FFL and SOT, we are legal and so are the suppressors)
If a man can't think out of the box, they might as well bury him in it.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Supressed 20 gauge Handi-rifle barrel
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 03:05:08 AM »
Any chance of a couple of pictures?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 04:11:05 AM »
No doubt, let's see some pictures.  ;D

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 05:22:08 AM »
+1 on Pics!  ;D

Offline Irongoat

• Iron Goat Guns
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 07:01:57 AM »

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 02:03:49 PM »
I think that is pretty cool. I can't see it having any application for wingshooting but for a slug gun or a turkey gun it could be kind of cool and useful. In any event, playing with H&R single shots is to be encouraged!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 02:59:13 PM »
Very nice...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Irongoat

• Iron Goat Guns
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »
Shot the 20 again today.  At the 25-yard range, the sonic crack coming back at us from the backstop was pronounced, louder than a .22 but quieter than a .22 mag or any centerfire I can recall.  At longer ranges, the "echo," if that is what it was was much diminished.  Both myself and the other man shooting agreed it felt "hearing safe." Nothing scientific about the tests, but it was satisfying to shoot.

The weight wasn't bad; about like a double bbl.  I could see some use in a crowded field for suppressed shotguns, if just to keep from scaring the guy next to you each time you shot and vice versa. The birds probably couldn't tell the difference.

Next is to see what the patterns are like.  I cut off most of what little choke was on the gun, but then I have always liked open choke shotguns.

I appreciate the interest, people.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 11:22:01 PM »
I just wonder how long you'll be able to link to your website where guns are for sale before becoming a site sponsor. Seems like you're reaching a larger crowd by posting your stories here. ::)

Thanks, Dinny at Manas
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Irongoat

• Iron Goat Guns
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 04:48:25 AM »
I am not really trying to sell anything, rather just sharing information.  I reckon when the moderators feel I have crossed a line, they will tell me.