Author Topic: IF YOU HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT PLEASE READ !!!  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
IF YOU HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT PLEASE READ !!!
« on: May 01, 2012, 08:17:25 AM »
Recently I have been bombarded with email saying I sent a payment. Now I know I did not send a payment to this person so that was enough for me but I know some folks to include a family member who is not as savvy as I am and fell for this phishing scam.

Please keep this in mind.
If you get one of these emails and click any link inside that email it is going to take you to a website that looks like paypal and if you enter your information into the log in box you are screwed.

As an example of how they do this look at the link below.
http://www.paypal.com

This link looks like it will take you to paypal but if you click it you will go to the Go2GBO welcome page.

NEVER EVER TRUST A LINK IN EMAILS. If you mouse over the link at the bottom of your browser it should tell you where the link leads. That is the most important thing to look for.

As a standard practice NEVER use the links provided in emails to visit your financial institutions. Type in the address manually then set a bookmark or favorite for that page and always use that link or type it in manually.

I get on average 25 emails a day from phishing scams but this is the first time I have ever gotten one saying it was paypal.

Matt

Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: IF YOU HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT PLEASE READ !!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 10:03:43 AM »
THANKS MATT!!

I agree, NEVER let your "guard" down!!

I make it a habit to use MY LINKS to sites even when the link is provided... This also goes for phone calls form companies I do business with. If they tell me the account info fine, I give them NO INFO. after all they should have it right?  I have hung up and called back myself more than once. I am immediately "on guard" with ANY incoming requests for ANY information.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: IF YOU HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT PLEASE READ !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:15:29 PM »
I've received lots of phishing scams involving paypal, paypal has a direct email addy to report those to, just forward them to spoof@paypal.com  They prolly can't do much about em, but they always reply.     

Tim

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=xpt/Help/general/TopQuestion4-outside
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain