Author Topic: The best shot you ever made???  (Read 3568 times)

Offline RevJim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: The best shot you ever made???
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 05:44:32 AM »
 Being a native Texan,transplanted to Utah, I can honestly say i do not miss all the snakes, mosquitoes, red bugs, and mildew of East Texas, ha. We always kept a cat or two outside, they did a good job of killing snakes in the yard. The Copperheads would curl up on the steps to get warm at night, rat snakes would find a way into the house ( creates quite the 'rodeo") ha.
 But I only shot or hoe handled the ones around the house or deer camp. My dad taught me to leave them alone, mostly, in the woods,etc. Asa kid, I ignored all that wisdom! We had big water moccasins ( non poisonous) but very aggressive, 6ft long, head as big as your hand; very scary,ha. In some places they had interbreed with Cottonmouths, which are born aggressive! A .22 handgun or rifle was usually kept pretty warm when I ran into them. 8)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 06:28:11 AM »
My brother who is 11 years older than me got me started shooting when I was around 12 years old. We would go down to some local sand pits on the weekends with a trunk load of junk; tin cans, soda bottles, old Tonka toys, broken radios, clay pigeons, etc. and have a ball.  I was a natural and he used to call me Dead Eye.

I used to shoot some Dead Mark matches with .22s in my 20s and could place two shots in the same hole or at least touching fairly regularly.

Unfortunately the ravages of age and the lack of time for practice is taking it's toll and I am not nearly the shot I used to be.  Last time I attempted to shoot a 12ga. shot shell at 20' with my Ruger SS I was lucky to hit one with one out of six shots.  But it was still fun trying.  ;)   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline BAGTIC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 03:46:35 PM »
If they are water mocassins they are venomous. If they are not venomous they are not water moccasins.

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 07:23:01 AM »
 I remember the big water "moccasins" ( just a water snake really) that were dark colored, with a reddish tint. These guys had heads as big as my hand, triangle shaped, but no fangs, and supposedly not venomous. They were up to 6ft long and aggressive. Every now and then, someone would kill one that did have fangs, and supposedly "were" venomous. I don't really know, as I was never bit, but I have definitly been 'chased" by them,ha.
 True, all moccasins I ever saw were poisonous, but we called all these big red snakes moccasins too. Generic term. The big rat snake was also aggressive and would bite, but they were non poisonous. I don't miss them at all! ha. I remember there was a big moccasin we called a "stump tailed moccasin", thick, usually under 3ft and had a bad musky smell. Very posionous. The Timber Rattlers had no rattles, but thats wht we called them. During high water from hurricanes, we had snakes all around the yard,house,etc. (70ft above sea level) it was an adventure, ha.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2012, 04:41:39 AM »
I grew up in East Texas swimming in farm ponds (tanks, we called them) and the only ones we ever watched out for were the stinky, stubby, mean old cotton mouth water moccasins.  All of the others were just water snakes.  They weren't aggressive and we never paid them any mind, even swimming into dusk when they came out in force.

In our area we never used moccasin as a generic term.  If someone said "moccasin" they were talking about old stubby.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2012, 08:39:37 AM »
Non poisonous moccasins and rattlers with no rattles, hmmm  but this was about long shots wasn't it.  I may have posted this before somewhere, you may not believe it but I had 3 witnesses.  We were at out NRA highpower rifle range on the 600 yd. line. Someone took a yellow one gallon antifreeze jug from their truck and put it on the backstop which put it at 630 yds. and said, let's see you hit this.Wind was blowing from right to left and I found I had to hold off a ways for that after the 1st shot. I was shooting a 6"Super blackhawk .44 mag with 240 gr. jacketed HPs with 20 grs. of H240, the complete front sight, ramp as well was  sitting on top of the rear sight.I put 3 of the last 5 shots thru the jug, standing offhand. That was about 15 yrs. ago but I think that I still shoot just as well, I'm 80 now. My fartherest shot on a Deer was 245 yds. with a 7 1/2" Super with Keith lead bullets and 22 grs. H110, also offhand. Handguns are amazingly accurate if you can be still.
H08

Offline DDZ

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2012, 10:40:35 AM »
Groundhog at just over 100 yards with around a 15-20 mph cross wind, with my iron sighted .41mag Redhawk. I held to compensate for the wind. Maybe a tad of luck, but with a max load of 296 under a 170 gr. JHC my .41 is accurate.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Him

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 03:28:25 PM »
Groundhog at just over 100 yards with around a 15-20 mph cross wind, with my iron sighted .41mag Redhawk. I held to compensate for the wind. Maybe a tad of luck, but with a max load of 296 under a 170 gr. JHC my .41 is accurate.

If your bullet hadn't hit him, he would have been struck by lightning forthwith.

Offline ceadersavage2

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
  • Love to have live 200 years ago
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2012, 01:52:26 PM »
I was shooting with my army 44 blackpowder at 1000 yards but can't figure this out still about 950 yards short