Author Topic: Winchester CAnnon  (Read 1298 times)

Offline rocky_taco

• Trade Count: (0)
Winchester CAnnon
« on: April 01, 2007, 03:13:56 PM »
I've wanted to get a Winchester Cannon for a few years now.  Looks like they have gone up in price, but I'd still like to get one.  Well, my wife said she would like to get me something nice for our anniversary this year.  I'm thinking of asking for a Winchester cannon.  My Grandfather always used to shoot a black powder cannon on the 4th of July.  I really like the looks of the Winchester, but I would miss the wick and loading black powder.  I'm just wondering if the Winchester can be converted to fire black powder and use cannon wick.  Or, is there another black powder cannon that looks like the Winchester?

Offline radio2

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Winchester CAnnon
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 04:14:05 PM »
I don't know what the Winchester cannon looks like, But if you check out our site sponsors I'm sure you will find what you want!

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 04:29:24 PM »
If you like the Winchester, and have wanted one for years, then that's what you should get.

The black powder shotshell blanks used in the Winchester will give you plenty of smoke and noise. And they are reloadable so you can get your hands dirty with the Holly Black.

Most of us do not load loose powder anyway, we pre-package our charges in aluminum foil for both safety and convenience.

Besides, you won't be able to stop at one cannon. You will eventually need a muzzle loader capable of launching projectiles (probably big ones).

And a mortar or two.

And a handgonne.

And ...

Offline radio2

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 06:30:18 PM »
Well said, And, and , and! It never stops!

Offline rocky_taco

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 02:17:12 AM »
The cannon is available in black steel, chrome, and brass.  I like the looks of the brass, but am wondering which material will hold up better?

Offline lendi

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 02:28:45 AM »
The winchester cannon is manufactured by Bellmore and Johnson in North Branford CT.  We work closely with them in that we do work for each other.  It is a breech loader 10g and can not be used as a muzzle loader cannon.  I like the naval edition, I have one.  The brass  barrel is macined from brass stock and only needs to be polished.  Call Rich at bellmore johnson for the best price.
Len DICW

Offline Cannonball

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 04:12:31 AM »
I bought a winchester not too long ago now, the breech mecanism doesnt allow muzzleloading but the simple lanyard system works great.

Offline SeaBlue52

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 07:19:52 AM »
I have been trying to get in contact with the folks at Bellmore-Johnson for a few weeks.  Their website notes a family medical emergency on April 7th, with a notice that they may be closed the following week, but there has been no response to their phone or email through the third week of May.  I hope everything is OK with their family.  Does anyone have any news?

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 11:05:38 AM »
Rock, I too wanted to buy a Winchester B/P 10ga. cannon. However the price was a little high. Also you will need to buy reloading items ie: powder measure, a box of 10 ga. B/P blanks, primers and card over wads. Then you can reload the fired hulls. I himmed and hawwed for a period of time and started looking on the internet and ran across Brooks Mfg. Co. email address of jsb@brooks-usa.com. he has some of the nicest brass cannons ever made I now own 4 of them. Mike has become a very good friend and we discuss ideas about the cannons I have purchased. The price is a lot better than a Winchester cannon. Mike is also sponsor of the site. And like others have stated you buy one and you want more, as in mortars and such.
Rock glad to have you as a member these people know so much about B/P shoot its unbelievable. They will take the time and answer a question very thoroughly. Good luck on a new addiction.  Dennis