Author Topic: Recoil: Single Action v. Double Action; Difference?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Mawgie

• Trade Count: (0)
Recoil: Single Action v. Double Action; Difference?
« on: January 14, 2004, 12:57:25 PM »
Folks -

I note that some on the forum, including GB himself, advise that double action recoil is less punishing to shooters in big bore revolvers than  single action recoil.  I'm newish to revolvers, and don't understand why some take this position.

For example, GB has stated he almost always fires his Taurus Raging Bull double action revolvers single action style, and finds this level of recoil less punishing than comparable caliber single action guns.

Isn't this effect more attributable to the gun, e.g., variables in frame design, grip style and composition, barrel length, porting or no porting, gun weight, scoped or not, etc., than the fact that the gun is a single or double action design?

I'd appreciate some input to get me squared away on this issue.

Thanks-Mawgie

Offline DzrtRat

• Avid Poster
Recoil: Single Action v. Double Action; Di
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 05:41:12 PM »
Mawgie said:

Isn't this effect more attributable to the gun, e.g., variables in frame design, grip style and composition, barrel length, porting or no porting, gun weight, scoped or not, etc., than the fact that the gun is a single or double action design?

It seems as if you answered your own question before you asked it?

The frame design, grip style and such on a single action revolver are different than on a double action revolver, and that's exactly why some feel more recoil with one or the other.

Percieved recoil also has something to do with shooting style and the way you hold the gun.  Some guys like to let a single action just "tip up" at the shot by letting the grip roll in their hand.  Because of the way a SA is designed (with the barrel and frame mostly above the level of the shooter's hand), it tends to have more muzzle jump than a double action.

On most double actions, the grip is higher in relation to the frame/barrel.  This causes the recoil to go more directly into the shooter's hand.  There is still some muzzle jump, but it's not as dramatic.

When it comes right down to it, if both types of pistols are of equal weight they will recoil the same with the same loads; it's how the shooter perceives and handles the recoil that makes a difference.  It just depends on the person and their particular shooting style.

~Rat

Offline HoCoMDHunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 06:02:51 PM »
DzrtRat is right on target. :gun4:
I have a SRH 454 that my wife like to shoot 45 LCs in.  These loads seem relatively tame in this gun.  We recently purchased a 45 Vaquero.  The same loads in the same length barrel are punishing in this gun.  I had to alter my grip so that I could stand it.  The SRH is well suited to a two handed grip (comes in handy with the 454 - believe me) while it seems to me that single actions favor a one-handed grip.
Doin' my best to keep up with Maryland's one handgun a month law.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 01:45:47 AM »
Yesterday I had my Taxidermist shoot my two 500 MAGS. One is the S&W500 and the other is a BFR in 500 MAG. He shot the S&W500 first, it is a double action, then he shot the BFR which is a single action. The S&W500 has a 8 1/2 inch barrel with a compensator and S&W rubber grips, my BFR has a cut down to 5 1/4 inches with a 4 port Mag-na -ported barrel with Hogue wooden grips. Both guns were loaded with 440 gr. Cast Performance bullets. After shooting both guns he said the BFR which is single action had less recoil in his opinion. The single action BFR is one gun you do not want to have a loose grip on, it will roll in your had with a tight grip. If you tried to let it roll in your hand with a loose grip as I did ONCE, the hammer will come back hard and punish your hand between your thumb and trigger finger. Like I said I only did that once. In my opinion my BFR in 500 MAG has less felt recoil than the S&W500. The S&W comes straight back at you, compared to the BFR which rolls up and back. As stated above it is all perceived recoil.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Recoil
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 04:52:39 AM »
Mawgie:  DsrtRat is right, so is Redhawk  - you did answer your own questions and it allrelates to perceived recoil.  I used to shoot two different 44 magnums for silly-wets.  One a Ruger SB, the other a S&W M29.  The Ruger would roll in my hand (but my grip was tight enough to prevent hammer bite - I learned after the first bite) whereas the S&W would recoil straight back.  Fortunately the S&W was heavy enough so I could shoot a couple of courses of fire before my wrist had had enough.  It was the same with the SB: roll or not, you still get recoil - it may not be as initially punishing as 'straight back' recoil which immediately impacts the web of your hand but the recoil from a single action revolver impacts my wrist first.  

Interestingly enough though, I prefer the 'feel' of the double action revolver with the hammer cocked back and the trigger all the way to the rear over that of the single action.  Musta had a 'thing' for Schofields in another life.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Bore44

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 05:28:57 AM »
Mawgie, These guys have given you all the facts and details; but it really comes down to personal preferance. If everyone was the same gun companys would only need to make one type of gun.

My first big bore (44 magnum double action) was a Ruger Redhawk. I used this handgun for several years. I happened to run across a good deal on a Ruger Super Blackhawk (44 magnum single action). After using this gun for a while the Redhawk was collecting dust until I finally sold it.

Personal preferance. Try each one, one of them will just feel right.

Bore44

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 12:44:26 PM »
I have to admit I am recoil sensitive, so my experience is limited to .357 magnums. The Ruger Blackhawk (SA) handles recoil better than my heavier Colt Python (DA) by a small margin. Unforunately the Blackhawk had one bad chamber that would throw a round 12" high at 25 yards so I Ditched it. I've shot S&W's in the same weight class as the Blackhawk and they were punishing. I loved the way the Blackhawk shot, and tended to practice longer with it. I should have sent it back to Ruger.

Offline LarryL

• Avid Poster
  • 2004 - 480 SRH
I prefer the SA, but it's all personal preference
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 05:35:34 AM »
Very early in my handgun life, I had an S&W model 27, .357.  I used to think it had pretty stout recoil with the factory wood grips.  Later I fired a friends SBH in .357 and could have sworn it was only loaded with .38s.

Later on, I moved up to a .44 mag S&W 629 with a 6" barrel.  I only shot regular factory ammo.  Never fired any Corbon loads, or handloads.  The recoil comes straight back at ya, and used to really make the web of my hand between the thumb and trigger finger really sore.  I tried Pachmyer gripper grips, and it seemed worse.   I think those grips were a little narrower than the original wood grips, and focused the recoil into a smaller area of the web of my hand.  To be fair, part of the problem related to a hand injury a few years earlier, that left the nerves more sensitive.  Still, I really came to dislike shooting it and finally sold it and bought a Desert Eagle .44 mag.

Had the Desert Eagle for quite a few years.  It was a real tack driver, and did not have much recoil.  But, it felt like a 2X4 in your hand.  Also, it had a serious tendency to jam.  It also liked to part your hair or hit you in the forehead with the empties.  Finally sold it off.

Now I now shoot a Ruger SBH .44 mag with a 5-1/2" barrel.  I shoot factory ammo, hot Corbon hunting ammo, and a variety of warm to hot handloads.  I can run 50-100 rounds through it at the range and not even break a sweat.  I've only gotten hurt by it when I fired the first couple cylinders full.  It was my first big bore SA pistol.  I started out firing with a higher grip, tight in back of the trigger guard.  That resulted in the trigger guard giving my middle finger a serious whack.  Also, I tend to bring the palm of my left hand in under my shooting hand a bit.  If my grip was too loose, the gun rolled in my shooting hand, and gave the palm of my other hand a whack.   After those first couple of learning experiences, I lowered and tightened up my grip a bit, and it's been a marriage made in heaven ever since.  It is a keeper that will never leave the stable.

I also have a SRH 7-1/2" in .480.  That definitely comes right back at you with the DA grips.  I don't find the recoil is in any way intolerable, but it's a lot more fun putting 100 hot handloads through the short barrelled .44 SBH than 100 rounds of factory .480 ammo through the SRH.  One of these days I'm going to have to shoot a FA in .454 or .475.  I'm just afraid I'll be unable to live without one, and I can't afford one right now!

Ultimately, I suggest you go to local range and try out both styles of grips.  If possible, use the actual model and caliber you plan to buy.  Only then will you know which you prefer.  Everyone perceives recoil differently.  Everyone has a different shooting stance and grip.  Either way, you get a new toy.  If you don't like it, you can always sell, trade, or keep it, and get another new toy!   :)
Success is a journey, not a destination...  Might as well enjoy the ride!! 

Just remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.  You can rely on 911 or on 1911. The choice is yours.

Larry

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 03:03:10 PM »
I've owned both in 44mag. and the guns weight and grips plays a key role into how it handles. Even on the 357 magnum colt python the extra barrel weight due to the extractor rod protector extended to the end of the barrel plays an important factor in barrel rise so its all in the design too. The S&W 500 mag is very similair to the python design too with the added weight.   The single action has no barrel weight but needs larger grips so the gun doesn't turn up and the hammer bites you.  Or you just need to hang on harder??  I really like the large frame on the redhawk with the 7 1/2" barrel over my 5" barrel the extra barrel weight does make a difference.  While both guns will hit the target at 100yds the longer barrel does handle better less rise.                                                                 BigBill

Offline Mawgie

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2004, 02:45:05 PM »
That's what I'm after, guys, thanks.  As some of you may be aware, I've been posting on issues related to this handgun acquisition for a little while now, and the SBH Bisley Hunter in .44 Magnum keeps coming up as the gun I think is right for me.  This is also the gun I like the look of best; though the Redhawk is a very, very close second.  Well, actually I like the look of the standard SBH plow handle better, but when I picked one up at the gun store, I felt that the grip, for lack of a better term, "overfilled" the base of my hand, like a shoe that didn't fit quite right.  (I have a large/extra large sized hand.)  So, I think the Bisley will be a better fit.

Thank you all for your assistance - Mawgie

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2004, 11:25:14 PM »
personally id rather fire heavy loads in a bisley anyday. A bisley with 300 gain 44s seems more comfortable (to me) then my smith with 240s. Id have to rate the recoil comfort of a blackhawk and a DA a toss up though as i cant get as good of a grip on a blackhawk. I can shoot a couple hundred rounds of 475 or .500 out of my bisleys in a day without discomfort. But that many out of a 29 and my wrist is sore. Everyone has a different oppion and the only way to find out what you like is to shoot them
blue lives matter