Author Topic: Please Help Need info on A&K Mfg. Co. Inc Signal Cannons  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Legio3arty

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Please Help Need info on A&K Mfg. Co. Inc Signal Cannons
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 02:17:33 PM »
Mine is a little bit different from the one the OP posted. My wheels are a lot more like traditional artillery ones, with no clamps on the felloes, tapered spokes, and smaller hubs.

The ten spoked strake wheels seen on this topic opener's cannon must be on an early A&K 6-pdr model, because the brochure photo shows a carriage with 12 spoked wheels like yours.

Perhaps they are replacement wheels. I remember my grandparents used to have a contestoga wagon lamp on the kitchen table that they used to hold their mail. It had very similar wheels. Comparing the two, I've noticed that the OP's version lacks the ready-boxes for the ammo on either side of the axle. Something else about the other gun looked odd to me and I finally figured out what it was. It looks like whoever built or restored that one must have swapped the order of the carrriage cross-braces around.
Mine has the narrow one just behind the axle, the longest one behind that supporting the breech and quoin, and the middle-sized one leading down the trails to the tail-stock. Measuring between the holes it does appear possible to assemble it in either order. Whichever way the brochure shows to be correct, it should be easy enough to un-bolt and swap them around.

Offline Legio3arty

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 05:30:12 AM »
Here are some updated pics of the A&K 6-pounder rebuild. Carriage and wheels were repaired as necessary and all the metal fittings (Rim bands,trunion caps, carriage bolts, etc.) have been stripped and re-blued. Some could use a bit of oil to darken them up, and there are a few that I didn't touch that will be corrected next time I have it apart. I applied a quick coat of K Mart primer and detailed it out a bit with black paint. At first I was unsure if painting over slavageable woodwork was the right way to go, but now I'm glad I did, All that's left for now is a few touch-ups and finding a set of small hinged hasps to replace the broken brass ones that were on the ammo chests. There are a few other cosmetic details I may change in the future, but for now I just want to go burn some powder.

Offline Legio3arty

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 04:25:05 AM »
Just a quick progress report on the A&K 6-pounder rebuild.
I couldn't resist touching off a couple salutes last night to celebrate Memorial Day in proper fashion. My daughter took a couple of videos on her phone. I'll try to post them when she figures out how to forward them to me. As a modern "Luddite" I can tell you the finer points of how catapults work, but I'm practically useless when it comes to such devices.
I tried two shots, starting with 60gr. and then 120gr. of FFF Goex. She made a nice little pop. Not exactly earth-shattering, but what can you expect from a .62 cal. In the future I will set up a good camera to get some beauty shots and start collecting real data to share.
In preparation for going to the range, and inspired by the thread on ammo boxes I'm building an ammo-chest storage box (12"x 18"x 30") that will serve double duty as a display base for the gun in my "man-cave" and as a range box to keep the gun from rolling around in transport. It will also hold all my cleaning and shooting supplies. The basic cabinetry is done, and I'm about ready to begin all the custom work of laying out the internal storage compartments. I'm still undecided what to do with the exterior, but I'm leaning towards gray with rope handles and Springfield Arsenal markings. The Armory is only about 45 minutes away, I think a research trip is warranted.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 10:33:36 AM »
Here are some updated pics of the A&K 6-pounder rebuild.

You did a fine job on the refurbishment, Legio3arty.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.