Author Topic: Hello! All.  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Tod0987

• Trade Count: (0)
Hello! All.
« on: July 07, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »
Hi All,   Long time (nearly 2yrs) lurker and reader and finally got my act together. This forum is Awesome!!

I have 3 pieces by Dom C. I began in search of a cannon to fire at a scout trip for flag salutes and picked up a Sawyer cannon barrel from Dom over a year ago. I have since picked up one of his 1" coehorn mortars and a BB(.177) cannon.

Origionally built a field carriage (sorry no pictures) but the scouts being in Eastern NC not far from the home of Blackbeard were screaming for a "Pirate carriage"  Sorry for the current incorrect carriage on her.   I have since had dueling cannons with another troop's mountain howitzer at a big gathering and everyone has a blast.  Definaly turned many heads when it barks.

(Better quality pictures to come)

More recent, the past year, is a confederate coehorn mortar in 1" bore. Went for a more historically accurate approach and origionally had a nice piece of white oak for the bed but it checked >:( . It now sits on red oak with a teak oil finish. 

The last is a BB sledge cannon that is well fun to shoot! People underestimate it until she fires and many "I wanna learn how"s are said afterwards.

There are a couple of more photos in the album enjoy (better picts to come)

Yall Take it easy and Dom, I've got that itch again  ;D

Tod

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Hello! All.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 06:18:03 PM »
Thats a nice set up and welcome . You did something that more folks should do .....you lurked and learned . No pipe bombs here ! :o 

Good Work !

You even have a saftey rammer , You have lurked well  8) .

Plus you are inspiring a whole new generation of cannon lovers !
Thanks
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 08:47:46 PM »
Welcome, glad you have finally come out of the shadows.  I have noticed up to 38 "guests" viewing this board.  Gary's right, good job learning the ropes before building a pipe bomb or grenade. I do not yet have anything from Dom, but intend to change that in the near future.

Great job with the scouts too>

Keith

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 09:21:37 PM »
Tod0987, welcome to the Forum! Nice start to your collection, and great looking tools! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Tod0987

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 05:15:47 AM »
Thats a nice set up and welcome . You did something that more folks should do .....you lurked and learned . No pipe bombs here ! 

Good Work !

You even have a saftey rammer , You have lurked well .

Plus you are inspiring a whole new generation of cannon lovers !
Thanks
Gary

Thanks Garry and everyone else.

Yea found the ebay "cannon" quite amusing and scary as hell that they could sell that to someone.

I have to give Dom credit for the safety rammer when I received the barrel he recommended one. I believe it was around the same time I saw a video on tv of a cannon firing during the seating of the charge... Didn't have to tell me twice, I kind of enjoy my fingers.

Yes they defiantly eagerly await its firing especially the return volley in response to the other troop.

Tod

Offline Tod0987

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 05:18:23 AM »
Tod0987, welcome to the Forum! Nice start to your collection, and great looking tools! BoomLover

BoomLover,  Thanks they are a combination of modified 12 and 10 gauge brushes/mops, and Brown Bess parts

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
Hi Tod0987. I'm glad that you took Dom's advice about using a safety rammer; what is that handle made from?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 08:38:50 AM »
Tod -

You have it together!

a) black powder can in first post for scale,
b) reference to actual size - BB(.177),
c) established relationships with our sponsors,
d) safety coscious - safety rammer!

Now all we need are pictures of smoke and flame!

WELCOME!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Tod0987

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »
Hi Tod0987. I'm glad that you took Dom's advice about using a safety rammer; what is that handle made from?

The handle is aluminum tube that has been cut, bent, and tacked in that shape then coated with black camo paint (found camo is a better flat than normal flat black)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 12:56:22 PM »
Hi Tod, 

Welcome!  Your naval carriage looks good, nice job.  I also like the Confederate Coehorn base.  Thanks for posting the photos.

Dom

Offline Tod0987

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 05:02:52 PM »
Hi Tod, 

Welcome!  Your naval carriage looks good, nice job.  I also like the Confederate Coehorn base.  Thanks for posting the photos.

Dom

Dom, Thanks and thanks for working with me on the pieces. The sawyer rides in a customized tool box "Cannon in a box" turns heads when you place the box down and pull it out and even more when fired  ;D

Offline Tod0987

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 05:20:38 PM »
Ask and you shall recieve.  Here are some video caps from this past weekend.

This one has captured the ball at the top of the picture.

The next 3 is a 3 frame series of the mortar firing. The debris in the air is a piece of orange flagging tape that I tried to attach to the ball via a hole and wedging an end in. This was so friends could see the ball's flight better... It just blew off and floated back down. ::)

More to come...

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 05:32:59 PM »
Chaching ! We have another one 8) ! Hee Hee Hee . ;D 

Great pics ! Catching a ball in fight on your first shooting  8) ...... yea ...... I know you were using 'video' but still .

GOOD WORK !  8) 8) 8)

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Tod0987

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »
Thanks Garry, I tried the multiple quick shots but the video though lower quality catches the plume better. 

Offline Tod0987

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 05:20:26 PM »
Brought out the GoPro camera today right at dusk for some updated video. Here is a few screen caps of smoke and flame  ;D

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »
 Love those pics where you can see the projectile in flight.  :)

Here's the Dictator Dom made for me, tossing cans...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 06:19:10 AM »
Gotta agree with you Victor, those are the coolest pictures!