Author Topic: Interesting Ebay cannon  (Read 1015 times)

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Interesting Ebay cannon
« on: May 25, 2012, 10:38:11 AM »
If I am not mistaken primed cartridges came after the civil war , and who in their right mind would use a signal gun in a civil war battle with everything else going off .    http://www.ebay.com/itm/civil-war-signal-black-powder-cannon-a-must-see-/120920536995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c276cf7a3

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Interesting Ebay cannon
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »
Perhaps a patent model.  Doesn't seem to be anything that would be effective in a combat situation.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 02:10:30 PM »
20th C. home shop machinist project perhaps done during a long, cold, snowy winter.  No more no less.  This novel item certainly had no official nor direct connection with any war that US troops fought in.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:36:20 PM »
Check this eBay cannon out.
1800's Field Black Powder Signal Salute Cannon Replica

Does this look like it could even be used to signal with.

http://bit.ly/KXLHki

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »
That one looks kinda thin in the barrel walls.  I wouldn't fire it.  Probably third world origin for that price.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »
If I am not mistaken primed cartridges came after the civil war , and who in their right mind would use a signal gun in a civil war battle with everything else going off .    http://www.ebay.com/itm/civil-war-signal-black-powder-cannon-a-must-see-/120920536995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c276cf7a3

Moose53,

When I first saw your post and then went to look on eBay, the item had already been removed; so were you simply describing a signal-salute gun that fired a blank shotshell or pistol cartridge? 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »
Sorry I should have posted the picture . It was of a 3 barreled  brass cannon , looked like it was set up for small caliber cartridges. Had a bolt actions similar to a single shot 22 rifle. They were asking  $1600.00 for it .