Author Topic: Another pipe bomb?  (Read 756 times)

Offline The Hayman

• Trade Count: (0)
Another pipe bomb?
« on: June 08, 2012, 04:00:31 AM »
Interested in other's views on this "cannon" that appeared in a local craigs list type listing. The seller has not answered my questions as to wall thickness, etc. The link for the add is:
   http://unclehenrys.com/init/classifieds/ad_detail/4024262/?_next=http%3A%2F%2Funclehenrys.com%2Finit%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2F3%234024262

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: Another pipe bomb?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 04:18:02 AM »
My suggestion would be to stay away from that thing, whatever the heck it is.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline The Hayman

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 05:37:09 AM »
I was not thinking of buying it, (I have my eye on one of those HMR mortars) just wondering how dangerous the thing might really be.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 06:07:06 AM »
A waste of wheels that might be put to better use.

Offline Tod0987

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 06:31:39 AM »
It looks like it may be a piece of drill pipe.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:53:22 AM »
"Run away! Run away!!" ;)
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 01:55:05 PM »
Besides look stupid and saying its owner is ill informed, it may shoot for years without an issue and then it may suddenly just let go. Then it might not.

Remember what they say about the lottery, you can't win if you don't play.  Do you want to win the lottery?

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 08:36:14 PM »
"Run away! Run away!!" ;)

That's pretty much what I've told my 13 year old Son if he's anywhere (other than a well known public event with professionals) someone's firing a cannon. How often do we see a YouTube where we can say, "Prefectamundo. They did everything right."

Too many variables in bbl material, build, powder type, charge weight, wad/projectile, loading procedure, etc. I imagine that at least 30% of casual cannon users regularly do things that most of us here would consider very unsafe practice.

I don't play the lottery; one reason is because I believe it to be a tax on the poor. Playing the 'reverse-lottery' with a cannon is a tax on the ignorant where a few pay (or more frequently, cause others to pay) the ultimate price.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes