Author Topic: Mystery handgun (at least to me)  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Mystery handgun (at least to me)
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:58:35 AM »
Guy just stopped by the house and wants to sell me this pistol for 250. I don"t know anything about handguns but it's brand newcondition.
   Here are the markings, what is it and is it worth it ?

left side, C.A.I. Georgia Ut.
                 Poland 9x18
                 9mm p-64
    Right Side mno2699 1976 and a circle with no. 11 in it
                  My only concern is the safety is hard to move on and off, can this be smoothed up ?

Any help appreciated, Thanks ( oh he has two of them but I can"t afford both)

Offline JRiddle

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Mystery handgun (at least to me)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:05:34 AM »
Sounds like one of these...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-64_(pistol)
I think SOG has them for about $170, if you know someone with C&R to order you one.
I'd put $200 cash out in front of him, he'd probably take it.

Hard to say about the safety, my guess is it would smooth out with a good cleaning and some use.
"Give me Liberty...or I'll get up, and get it myself."

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 03:53:40 PM »
I believe he has a pair of Polish p-64 9mm Makarov pistols.   I would offer him $250 cash for the pair.

Here is a link to all you need to know.   Keep in mind that 9mm Mak. (9x18) is not the same as 9mm Luger,  you probably won't find ammo for them at your local Wally-World.

Here is a link to all you need to know about the Polish p-64:    http://p64resource.com/
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 08:33:53 PM »
I think Brett is spot on... a P64.
Century Arms International, Georgia, Vermont was/is the importer.

Have no personal experience with the P64, but way back in the early 70's had a lot of Markarov's come through our gunshop for rebarreling to 9 Luger, mostly from our Army customers who were picking them up overseas for pocket change.   So many were coming to us that we built and kept a stock of barrels on hand for them. 
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:16:53 PM »
I shot this one about 1/2 hour ago and it out shot my two Walter ppk's in .32 auto I m impressed. I bought both of them for 275 with 4 clips and two boxes of ammo. They both look like they are right out of the box !

Offline spruce

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 01:48:38 PM »
You done good!

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:19:59 AM »
Yes, its a Polish P-64. It sould go in the $200 dollar prioce range.  They can be bought cheaper off some of the web sites but by the time you pay shipping and transfer it up over $200.00

I bought two of them several years ago, gave one to my son, kept the other one.  I found the gun to be very well built, shoos to point of aim and it has never malfunctioned after approximatel 500 rounds.  I totally trust mine and would not hesitate to consider it as a CCW weapon.  For more information on the gun go to

http://www.bobtuley.com/makarov

There are also several sites that offer up-grade springs for the gun to make it more compatable to CCW.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »
In the 90's There was a bunch of East block handguns on the market that were cheap.
A couple a friends bought them and I ended up taking a tube of flitz and smothing the actions.
I would take the guns and put flitz on the rails and in the safety parts of the slide and put an old towel in my lap and on rainy days watch a movie and cycle the gun.
Flitz is a polish that will smooth out your gun.
Once it got gritty and the flitz was a dk black I cleaned the gun and started over.
Flinally the Browning High Poer copies  were smooth as a Browning and the Makarovs moved like a Walther PP.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 07:35:37 AM »
Nice find, congrats on the purchase.  When these finally dryup the prices will be much higher.  They will probably more sought after when they dryup too.  These are nice pocket carry pistols.  My new CCW pistol is the CZ82 in 9mm mak. with its 12rd mag.   I thought it would have way less bark over the 9mm luger round but its right up there noise wise.