Author Topic: Anyone casting boolits for the .25-20 Win?  (Read 920 times)

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
Anyone casting boolits for the .25-20 Win?
« on: June 30, 2012, 06:22:04 AM »

Just wondering if anyone at GBO casts and reloads for this nostalgic little round?  :)

If so, what were your findings?  And successes?

Frustrations?  (thanks!)

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anyone casting boolits for the .25-20 Win?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 07:15:08 AM »
  I use to cast bullets for my 25/20, but then i started swageing my own SWC bullets for it instead.  It's been a long time since i cast a 25 cal. bullet!

DM

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 01:17:00 AM »
I used to have a Bullberry Contender barrel chambered for 25-20. I fought with that thing for a long time trying to get it to be accurate, and finally put it away. Same thing with a 256 win mag one. Then I got older and more experienced, and learned more about how to get guns to shoot lead bullets. I revisited the 25-20 and found that the standard chamber for it has no throat at all, and a very steep bevel into the rifling. No wonder it wouldn't work! I attacked it with a normal 25 caliber rifle throating reamer, which allowed the bullet to seat out of the case about .100"  and have a chance at being aligned with the bore. What a difference! Suddenly I just about couldn't find a bad load for it, the thing would shoot well with everything I put in the chamber. Plain base or gaschecked, smokeless or black, it didn't matter as long as things were within reason.

Of course you can't do this with a lever action rifle because of the overall length considerations. But with a single shot, it works to really make them come alive. I eventually sold that barrel to somebody who needed it more than I did, so I no longer have a 25-20. I still cast the bullets to paper patch for use in a 6.5mm TCU and they work great there, and some day I plan on building up a Remington 580 to take 25-20, but that's after a lot more projects get completed first!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 02:08:07 AM »
  How about a left hand T-bolt 25/20?

DM

Offline Nobade

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 05:23:22 AM »
Pretty cool, have you shot it much? Is it staying tight? I haven't played with T-bolts much to see how strong the lockup on them is - if it holds up that's a neat option for a very slick small game gun!

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 09:52:43 AM »
  No, i haven't shot it a lot, as it isn't finished yet...  BUT, i bet you it won't have any problems staying tight though!

How about a S&W "K" frame revolver, chambered in 25/20??

DM

Offline Nobade

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 10:23:38 AM »
Seen that one done before, pretty neat little trick!

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 10:47:42 AM »
Go to the Marlin Owners forum under Reloading.  You'll find 65 pages of comments on the 25/20. I have an 1894CL and a Blackhawk in 25/20and all my info for this caliber comes from that site.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!