Author Topic: .458 / 400 gr. Swift A-Frame  (Read 938 times)

Offline Jimbow4570

• Trade Count: (1)
.458 / 400 gr. Swift A-Frame
« on: June 01, 2012, 09:43:48 AM »
Good afternoon Handi-Men,

I was curious if any of you have loaded the Swift .458 / 400 gr. A-Frame bullet in 45-70 for the Handi-rifle
Is it like the Hornady 350 gr. FP where you have to bury the head to keep it off of the lands?
Is the ogive good enough to load to the grove? (No, respectfully, I don't want to ream it)
This will be (or the Barnes Buster Bullet) my black bear bullet as I want to break it down quick and hard, if it works in the H&R. (Have loaded the LBT WNFP already, want jacketed).

Thanks in advanced,

-Jim

"Teach a man to fish and he feeds himself for life...give a man welfare and he will go fishing while YOU go to work"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .458 / 400 gr. Swift A-Frame
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:48:46 AM »
Welcome! Here's a recent discussion on the same subject(different bullet), the only way for you to know what works in your rifle is to try it and see, each barrel is different and what works in one, won't necessarily work in another.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,258050.msg1099524505.html#msg1099524505
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Jimbow4570

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:00:01 AM »
Thanks you very much Quick.

Anyone else have experience loading this particular bullet?
"Teach a man to fish and he feeds himself for life...give a man welfare and he will go fishing while YOU go to work"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:14:18 AM »
Have you contacted Swift for 45-70 data to see if it will even work at 45-70 velocities? Hodgdon only lists the 400gr Swift for 458WinMag and above, Swift makes a 350gr bullet for the 45-70, I think it would perform better at 45-70 velocities, there are several other 350-400gr bullets that cost a lot less that would perform as well also.  ;)

Tim

http://www.swiftbullets.com/contacts

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 11:25:04 AM »
jimbo,  jus go getya sum them rem 405gr sjsp's an throw'um roun 1500
 ya can't get much betternat.........no !! ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:45:28 AM »
jimbo,  jus go getya sum them rem 405gr sjsp's an throw'um roun 1500
 ya can't get much betternat.........no !! ;)

That's what I wuz thinkin, but not having used them on anything but paper, can't make a recommendation based on actual on-game performance as Doc can.  ;) They're priced right, that's for sure, I bought 500 from Cabela's a few years ago for $82 shipped!

Tim

Offline Jimbow4570

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 11:55:55 AM »
Quick, I have data already for the 400 gr. Vels arount 1930 fps or so for the 45-70.

Gendoc, Have you shot through both shoulders of a Black Bear (300 to 460lbs) with Remington 405 gr (they are not core lockt) soft points?
It sure is an accurate bullet, but busted up bears is what I want, not busted up bullets. I want to break them down quick, and have the bullet keep on goin'
I understand the 45-70 has incredable penetration at velocities below 1800 fps. in heavy bullets, I am just worried about bullet failure and some stoppage of penetration.

Again, Thanks Gents.

Offline gendoc

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 11:56:01 AM »
yep, they bea kill'n machine in my trapper. tooka few white tail this past season and kan't wait for
this come'n november. we shoot tha 300's sjhp in all tha others.
both doa great job ona flop-job, i'll tellya............... ;D
ifya miss, its yur fault.......not tha handi or tha handi-load in this part tha world 8)

sea-ya.....

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

Offline gendoc

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 12:03:42 PM »
Quick, I have data already for the 400 gr. Vels arount 1930 fps or so for the 45-70.

Gendoc, Have you shot through both shoulders of a Black Bear (300 to 460lbs) with Remington 405 gr (they are not core lockt) soft points?
It sure is an accurate bullet, but busted up bears is what I want, not busted up bullets. I want to break them down quick, and have the bullet keep on goin'
I understand the 45-70 has incredable penetration at velocities below 1800 fps. in heavy bullets, I am just worried about bullet failure and some stoppage of penetration.

Again, Thanks Gents.
can't say i've take'n ana big bears with it, but have busted a engine block in half froma thief that thought he'd out run my aim !!!!!!!!! sob had my grandbabies 4-wheeler in back his truck... 8)

sea-ya.....

Offline Jimbow4570

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »
Not too worried about deer. Deer are kinda soft compared to a bear.

I really like the 405 remington, But have heard too many stories.
I guess I will have to buy a box of the A-Frames and see.

Thank you Gentlemen. Your imput is apprciated.

-Jimbow4570

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 12:21:59 PM »
Here's a discussion on the A-Frames at MO, the OP was told by Swift to use the 350gr instead of the 400gr in his 45-70 for bear. There's also mention of not using other data for Swift A-frame bullets due to their construction.

Tim

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/62532-45-70-swift-frame-bullets.html

Offline Jimbow4570

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 01:59:17 PM »
If I had a scanner Quick, I would send it along.

Thanks again Boys........

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »

can't say i've take'n ana big bears with it, but have busted a engine block in half froma thief that thought he'd out run my aim !!!!!!!!! sob had my grandbabies 4-wheeler in back his truck... 8)

Whoa!  There's a story there worth hearing if you haven't already told it too many times!! Vehicle stoppage with the Handi is pretty epic  8) Moving vehicle?  Any distance?  It's like a modern day Sandy Hook Trial  ;D
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline abolt-fan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 05:16:44 PM »
Jim,

I've got the Swift loading manual.  If you decide to try those bullets and want the data worked up for them by Swift let me know.  I'll either post it here or copy it and mail it to you.

Later, Robert.

Offline Jimbow4570

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 12:29:59 AM »
Thank you Robert,
I may take you up on that !!

Need to do more reasearch before I drop 60 bucks to see if I can load it in the Handi.
I will be in touch.
You guys are a wealth of knowledge, Thanks.

-Jimbow