Author Topic: trip to the outerbanks  (Read 664 times)

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
trip to the outerbanks
« on: June 05, 2012, 01:14:52 PM »
 well,   i am heading to the outerbanks nc. for vacation on the 10th,  anyone down that way or heading that way to? i plan on going to the shipwreck museum, and see as many guns as possible.  anyone want to meet up? i am always game for meeting other members and cannon owners. i am riding my motorcycle so i am game for doing some riding too.

i will be there for a week in duck but going to ride all the way to ocracoke island. 

let me know,

rick bryan

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: trip to the outerbanks
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 11:41:48 AM »
My week off is around the 4th of July.  There are a LOT of cannons where you're headed!

Let's talk lead next time you're on THIS end of the state!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Tod0987

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 05:11:14 AM »
Rick, I've stayed up in Corolla several times (just north of Duck). I'm sure the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum down by Frisco should have some of Blackbeard's stuff.  Another shot would be the Aquarium on Roanoke they might have  a few pices.  There has got to be some stuff around the Albmearle Sound in the Elizabeth City area. I'm not sure where you're coming from, but inland about 2 hours and about about 15 mins north of I-64 in Hamilton, there is Ft Branch. One of the last remaining earthen forts with origional guns onsite. I posted a thread and there is another as well I belive on Ft Branch.  http://www.fortbranchcivilwarsite.com/

If you're up for a real ride the trip well south to the Crystal Coast to Beaufort, NC has the Maritime Museum which has a good display of items from the ship. http://www.ncmaritimemuseums.com/beaufort.html Also is Ft. Macon which has a firing replica and an origional mortar. http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/foma/main.php

Good Luck,

Tod

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 01:39:13 PM »
I am heading down from poquoson va.  beaufort is not out of the question, as i am going to ride to ocracoke. but unlikely.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
well the shipwreck museum was not worth the drive, saw two guns but both where plastic, there was one real mortar that i will post some pics of soon, but i know there are cannons at the roanoke colony museum, i will get some pics of those.

rick bryan