Author Topic: 20 ga shotgun barrel  (Read 1047 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
20 ga shotgun barrel
« on: August 13, 2012, 11:45:31 PM »
  Getting a 20 ga shotgun barrel for home defense.. will my Versa-pack be an adequate base action to use it on ?

BTW:  what is a good defensive round for it ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: 20 ga shotgun barrel
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 12:40:01 AM »
Yep, the Versa frame would be fine if you can get a good lock up.  I like #4 buck in the 20.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:59:34 AM »
Thanks mechanic..that's what I needed.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 02:05:39 AM »
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

"In fact, tests have shown that even #4 Buckshot lacks the necessary penetration to reach the vital organs. Only 0 Buck, 00 Buck, and 000 Buck penetrate enough to reach the vital organs."

I know I was surprised when I read the above article.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 04:37:47 AM »
#3 in  2.75 shells  or  [ X 18]
#2  in he 3 inch shell  [[X 20]............or did  i get the count backwards

thats about it.....never seen any outher size buck  in a 20ga

that  3 inch  shells  is pretty impressive  in my opinion

i don't care for slugs....either  devestating [good]  or a total miss [not good]
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 01:03:33 PM »
Save up your empty water and milk jugs. Fill with water put a smily face on it with a Sharpie. Test various 20 ga loads from 15 feet. I think you will be surprised what the outcome is. Be sure and try reg 2 3/4" 7 1/2 shot loads as well.If you are talking about in your home defense remember there may be love ones behind the wall the bad guy is standing in front of. Over penetration is a really bad thing! A bad guy with a face full of #7 1/2 shot is an ugly mess but it takes the fight right out of them.
May you never have to fire  such a shot but if you do be sure to stay calm and put it in the right place.
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »
Check these out, #4 buck defense loads.....

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/buckshot.aspx?id=910

They are bad news on a coon, thankfully I've not tried them on a man.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 03:36:12 PM »
  Thanks guys, there is some valuable advice there...  There is also the thought of passing through walls..which I know a slug will easily do..  I'll probably try various loads, including the #4s which Mechanic suggested..

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »
Getting whacked in the gut with a load of 6s or 7 1/2s at 15 feet or less will certainly put a man out of commission.  Think of getting hit there with a ball peen hammer, as the pellets aren't going to spread very much at all.

But a single shot for a defense gun?  If that is all you have or can afford that's one thing, but I  think I would go with a pump.

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 03:20:25 AM »
Getting whacked in the gut with a load of 6s or 7 1/2s at 15 feet or less will certainly put a man out of commission.  Think of getting hit there with a ball peen hammer, as the pellets aren't going to spread very much at all.

But a single shot for a defense gun?  If that is all you have or can afford that's one thing, but I  think I would go with a pump.

-Kees-
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   Right now, that will be the only shotgun I have.  I am a dedicated rifleman at heart and own many rifles of various types & 4 handguns .....I use my handguns only rarely.

I'm so "rifle oriented" that I don't even hunt birds or turkeys, since only shotguns are allowed for them here.  I debated getting a pump shotgun..but for that probably never used gun..I can fit this barrel to one of my H&R rifle bases.  Being a single shot fan , I can reload quite quickly...if needed.. ;)   :D

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 05:34:05 AM »
Check these out, #4 buck defense loads.....

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/buckshot.aspx?id=910

They are bad news on a coon, thankfully I've not tried them on a man.

Ben

that would be my choice...i never saw those  before

i also  found this for some one that had a minimum #1 for hunting
http://www.custombuckshot.com/ballistic/1B10X_Ballistics.pdf
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 04:10:53 PM »
I use 16 gauge #6 birdshot for home defense because I have to worry about overpenetration into one of my kids bedrooms. Anyone from the boxotruth is welcome to stand 7 yards downrange from me and take a hit to prove that this load is inadequate.

A 20 gauge single shot in the hands of someone who has practiced reloading quickly is no slouch.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783