Author Topic: Casper Wyoming Shoot  (Read 457 times)

Offline gunsonwheels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Casper Wyoming Shoot
« on: June 04, 2012, 02:16:09 PM »
Received the following e-mail a few days ago about the Casper, Wyoming shoot.  It is being held on Father's Day weekend this year June 15-17, 2012.

June 1, 2012

Dear Cannoneers,
     We received a registration from:
          The Omaha, Nebraska rifled gun
          A couple smooth bores from Northern Colorado
          and a mortar and smooth bore from Nebraska.

This brings the registered total to 5 smooth bores
                                                      4 rifles and
                                                      1 mortar
I know of two more mortars, one smooth bore, and one more rifle yet to register.  Looks like we will have 13 or 14 guns.
Still need a range officer and an announcer. We have some youngsters that want to sell drinks and hotdogs, and are still working  out those details. We will probably forgo the color guard.

Dan  McClenahan     GOW/George

Offline airforcemajor

Re: Casper Wyoming Shoot
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 03:50:08 AM »
I am somewhat new to the Denver area and would like to get plugged into notifications such as this one for Father's Day weekend, both as a participant and spectator.

I have a full sized replica of a British Light Infantry 3 pdr, c. 1776 and would like to shoot it on occasion .

I do have some questions:

When I was re-enacting back east we needed to be associated with a recognized organization and that had liability insurance to participate; how does that work for western cannon shoots?

What is (if any) the governing body?  For example my Rev War unit is a member of The Continental Line and we abide by their rules at their events.

Thank you,

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
Re: Casper Wyoming Shoot
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 06:47:07 PM »
Sorry to not respond sooner...

Things are a little looser in the West as far as rules go.  Mostly it is "show up and shoot" but any new gun (new to the sponsors) will require an "inspection".  As I remember, the Casper meet is insured either by the club that hosts the meet or Dan gets insurance for that specific event.  I believe the lack of rules, limitations, and regulating are why some members of the board refer to Mountain West shoots as "scary".  But an informed builder/shooter isn't prevented from participating because he isn't "associated with a recognized organization and that had liability insurance to participate", have a fully uniformed five man (minimum) gun crew, etc., etc.

Mike and Tracy from Seacoast Artillery up in Broomfield (North Denver) often get out to shoot and sometimes welcome other shooters... you might send them a PM (personal message) through this board.  Also you might want to search for Mountain Man Rendezvous's as they often sponsor cannon shoots as part of their rendezvous.  I guess the bad news about out here is there are generally fewer shoots during a year which it would be reasonable to travel to because of the distances involved.  I'd try to contact Dan McClenahan in Casper and find out who the other Denver area shooters are and then try to contact them.   Good Luck!!!

And welcome to the Mountain West.  I think you will find the differences refreshing and enjoyable.

GOW/George