Author Topic: The survival kit for when the SHTF  (Read 652 times)

Offline 1armoured

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
The survival kit for when the SHTF
« on: June 11, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
Just reading an article on the Lee Classic Loader,
(although my choice would be a Lee Hand Loader, rather, plus all the bits)
I have one and they're great for portable camping/vacation reloading my .22Hornet and .222Rem, although I shy away from full length sizing the .308.

A classic quote from the article; (Campfire Bullet Loading)
at;
http://www.castbullet.com/reload/campcast.htm

"In a post-apocalypse America, there'd be wheelweights galore on parked cars everywhere. A fellow could make himself a little casting and loading kit like mine, and he could live in the woods for years."

which is from 'The Frugal Outdoorsman'
"In this online magazine you'll find no articles about fancy fishing rigs and magnum rifles. We believe that cane poles, trotlines, and nets are the best ways to catch fish. Cast bullets in the venerable 30-30 Winchester and in traditional muzzleloaders are the best ways to harvest deer. In our cooking section, you'll find only articles and recipes cooked on a campfire or in a camp Dutch oven with coals beneath it and in the lid."

We are always encouraged to have the food, water, flashlight, radio, batteries, matches, knife etc in case of National Emergency, flood, fire, earthquake, or Tsunami, etc etc

but nobody ever mentions 'survival' per se,
so lets get the Lee kit together with a bottle of water, the Davy Crockett 'coon' hat and some matches, and we'll be good to go !  :)

cheers,
SS

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: The survival kit for when the SHTF
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:39:29 PM »
You mean,, ??? ,,Your not ready?  :o
found elsewhere

Offline 1armoured

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:06:01 PM »
I must be the only one,

but I have a policy of not holding more ammo, powder, projectiles etc than my life expectancy,  :)

and that's looking a bit dodgy at the moment, esp with all those unaccounted-for nuke devices,
and 'Global Warming' !
I have sleepless nights worrying about drones and Govt agents armed to the teeth, UN invaders, and 100 million illegals just waiting over the border for a sign, and of course the gasoline running out !

When I tried to get a 'black gun' and a case of ammo, before the administration bought it all up,
I was too late !
They'd all been sold to the Pancho Villa cartel !
Oh well, looks like it's going to be the Lee Loader and wheelweights, then.

Never mind, I grew up without electricity and running water, no flushing toilet, TV or computer, so I'll maybe have completed a full circle !
It won't be just the bears 'shttng' in the woods !

c'ya all round the campfire, and reminisce about the 'good old days',
and remember, No Smoking, when you finally come out the shelter,
That passive smoke is a killer !
adios,
and as the Boy Scouts say, 'Be Prepared' !!!
SS

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:18:54 PM »
I have Lee Classics for all the calibers they make that I have guns that shoot.  Those reside in a SHTF spot together with a few other reloading components.  I also have a hand press and given the opportunity, I'd grab that and all the dies and stuff in the cabinet too.  The Lee loader puts everything nicely in a compact package too though.
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 12:49:56 PM »
A Lee hand press is the only thing I've used for several years now. I load all my pistol rounds easily and also load 308's with no problems at all. I recommend the hand press to anyone that doesn't have room to set up a reloading bench with a bolted on press.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.