Author Topic: Black Powder Mortar use on public land: Cali and Oregon. Rules/laws?  (Read 947 times)

Offline Rock6.3

• Trade Count: (0)
What are the rules/laws regarding the use of black powder mortars on public lands in California and Oregon?

How about rules/laws regarding use on beaches and launching into the ocean?

Thank you for the information.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Black Powder Mortar use on public land: Cali and Oregon. Rules/laws?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 05:16:54 AM »
Board rules no legal interpretations.  There is enough legal nonsenses on the internet.  We worked a long time and very hard to keep this board from being a source of that nonsense.

For the absolute definition contact the State Attorney General for state for state owned lands.  For National Forest, BLM and  National recreation lands, contact the  Chief Counsel of each agency.

I would not take this route unless you really want to hear the real rule.  You may not like the response.

You should be able to get the  answer by just looking for the use rules for each  area.  If it says no firearms. That is you answer. 

I googled "Oregon BLM recreation use rules"   and got a list of hits. Here is one that is the for the Roseburg office. http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/roseburg/recreation/rec_guidelines.php   On that site you will find links to other Oregon Offices.  You will also find the rules on firearms.

I also googled "Oregon Beach Use Rules" and got some hits.  I started with this one http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/RULES/oceanshores.shtml . On that opening page thyr refer to general recreation use rules found here.  http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/rules/oars_700/oar_736/736_021.html scroll down on that page and you will find the rule for prohibited activities, and firearms and hunting.

Use google and find you answer for answer for other public lands.

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 03:07:28 AM »
However back in the 70's after the Omnibus Crime Control Act shut us all down to a 5# limit on powder, Senate Bill 1096 was passed raising that limit to 50#.

AND

The law from that bill declares that all muzzle loading ordnance pre-dating 1999 is-not/are-not  "firearms".

BUT

big brother being what he/it is, you may spend a lot of time and money defending that position after the siezing of your property and your own incarceration.  :o   :(   :'(   While  DD is saying you likely will not want ot know the answer to your question, I am saying you likely will not like the consequence of shooting your ordnance on public lands.

However we had a board member who asked his local law enforcement office about shooting in his county (he was rural) and they sent a deputy out to observe, supervise and he otherwise got infected with our own peculiar kind of "disease".  ::)   

GOW

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 03:18:32 AM »
Delete

Offline buzz36

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 04:55:05 AM »
DD and others all great points and yes this is that grey area we need to be aware of and each make there choice to folow up on
I check BLM and the county sherrif in my area i only asked about firearms and got he current laws
i asked about  cannons and  got a  that look i said just  curiouse but  they told me  i could check at the national guard or military base in the area as well
one other place you can look is search for any state shooters forum board for your state

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 12:04:36 PM »
However back in the 70's after the Omnibus Crime Control Act shut us all down to a 5# limit on powder, Senate Bill 1096 was passed raising that limit to 50#.

AND

The law from that bill declares that all muzzle loading ordnance pre-dating 1999 is-not/are-not  "firearms".

GOW

Exactly why we said no legal interpretations. To much  misleading information.

Re; the 50 lb rule, there was a change in the Federal explosives regulations for licensed explosives dealers and when they needed a magazine.  It never applied to personal possession.  We are limited to a maximum of 50 lbs per purchase, but there is no possession restriction for personal use.  Again that is Federally.  State an Local regulations may apply. 

There are two laws defining ordnance made in or before 1898 and made before 1899 as antiques-not firearms. To be an antique a Muzzleloading arm has to be designed to use blackpowder or sub. Some other restrictions also, but muzzle loading alone doesn't make an antique.  Again, that is Federally.

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 01:34:32 PM »
Approximately 8 years ago someone was prosecuted for shooting a pellet gun on the beach at Brookings  Oregon, I'd leave my cannon at home.
Bob

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 05:58:16 PM »
DD:
Thanks for correcting my 1999 to 1899...

AS I remember Califonia never did rescind the 5# buy/possess law they seperately enacted... right after the 1971 Federal Law was put in place.  Any California shooters know about that...??

Rock6.3'
We try to keep it a secret from the rest of the nation... but you could always move to Wyoming or Montana.  Check out "Sportsman's Guide" on the web.  Montana and Wyoming are the ONLY states which DO NOT have ANY restrictions for them shipping their products to...  The Mountain West is the last bastion of American civil liberties and heaven only knows how long that may last.  I have noticed DD doesn't share that about Montana very much either  ;)   If we get too crowded with too many irresponsibles, we too will be overly restricted from receiving "sporting goods".  And from shooting them after we do have them...

GOW

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:55:43 AM »
N/A