Author Topic: More smoke... less bang  (Read 641 times)

Offline arrrg

• Trade Count: (0)
More smoke... less bang
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:50:05 AM »
I am looking to reduce complaints when I fire my line gun with a 2.5 inch bore. Are there any loads that will give me smoke and flame with less boom. Due the the guns age I have already give up any thought of projectiles or wadding over the powder charge, but it can still be heard for great distances though.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: More smoke... less bang
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 10:20:56 AM »
Delete. 

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 03:00:30 PM »
If more smoke and less boom is the goal, try Pyrodex instead of black powder.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 06:30:51 PM »
NOT a recommended practice with larger cannons, but perhaps loose powder without packing the charge. 
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 06:37:35 PM »
You might try less powder but adding an inert material like flour in front of the powder.  Keep in mind you are experimenting now and some experiments will not provide the desired results.  They are not failures, though, as they identify ideas that do NOT work.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 12:01:58 AM »
 I'm surprised you're getting much noise without a wad in such a large bore. ~2oz of loose FFFFg with no wad in my 3" mortar gave a satisfying "whumph" (no bang) with lots of smoke and flame. Using FG wasn't near as impressive and I could hear unburned powder raining down on the ground.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 07:23:14 AM »
Around 4-5 years ago I had occason to use a BP substitute called "American Pioneer", and not only did it make less of a bang, but it made even more thick white smoke than real BP.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.