Author Topic: Educate me on Contenders  (Read 700 times)

Offline rc51kid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Educate me on Contenders
« on: August 08, 2012, 11:01:31 AM »

i am looking at a Thompson Contender that is for sale. I want to get a 38/357 barrel and have it threaded for my suppressor. I have seen these done like this and they are VERY nice. I found two TC Contenders for sale locally but i dont know what to look for in a Contender. First is a blued finish (very nice) with some animal engravings on the frame. Wood furniture with spare grips. a 14" 44mag barrel with target looking sights. Serial number is 182xxx if i remember right. It looks very clean to me. They want $389 for it. I figure i would sell the 44 mag barrel and get a 357 one. I also found a 357 one with a barrel that looks a little shorter. Grips look to be Pacmire or something. I dont know as much about the 357 one. He wants $400 for it. Anything i should look for or inspect? does the price sound acceptable? I have seen something about the different hammers. Can someone post some pictures of the different hammer styles? How can i tell the differences between a G1 and G2? Any info would be great.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
Re: Educate me on Contenders
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:43:07 AM »
Those prices are not way out of line, but not a deal either.  Both are more than I would pay.  The serial number range you list puts it at late '81 which is my favorite series ('79 to thereabouts).  All four of my frames are of around that vintage and I have yet to experience any barrel lockup issues, no matter how old or new the barrel.

Later frames were changed to the "easy open" design and some early frames have been converted.  I don't find them to be much easier to open than the originals.  The split locking bolt on the more modern barrels makes more difference than the frame IMO.  HTH

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline rc51kid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Educate me on Contenders
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:11:01 PM »
Thanks, i had someone tell me that the locking lugs on the older gen 1 guns wears out quickly. Have you found that to be true? What is it you like better about the older frames? i had someone recomend the ones that have the "lever" on the hammer which i think is a newer one.