Author Topic: Poly-Choke on a Pardner?  (Read 902 times)

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Poly-Choke on a Pardner?
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:45:42 AM »
I'm seriously considering making my 12 gauge single shot NEF Pardner handier and more backpacking friendly by cutting the 28" barrel down to 18", and to make it more versatile sweating on a Poly-choke to the muzzle.   I have plenty other shotguns for the field so this one would be more a survival tool.  Anyone here ever put a Poly-choke or reasonable fact simile on their single NEF/H&R shotgun?
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: Poly-Choke on a Pardner?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 10:37:03 AM »
If you search back in the threads I know there's been a few. DaveH did a 16ga.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Yak Angler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Poly-Choke on a Pardner?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 12:09:39 PM »
A cheaper option would be to just cut it down to 18.5-19" which would give you cylinder bore and the very "handi" length for taking down and stuffing in  your backpack, I have done this very thing but used a 20 gauge vs. the 12 gauge. Then experiment with different types of ammunition to get the pattern you want. For example a soft lead shot load through a fully cut wad will give you a very open excellent close range pattern for taking game in close lets say under 20 yards when fired through a cylinder bore. While an uncut wad and hard steel/heavy shot/tungston shot will still give you tighter than full choke pattern performance compared to the soft lead shot example above--my experience in the field and at the pattern board which I will be doing more of tomorrow in preperation for this years upcoming waterfowl season is that the type of shot and the type of wad have alot more to do with pattern density/size than choke tubes do. My experience has shown tight chokes don't pattern any better than cylinder choke guns when you find the right wad/shot combination inside of 40yards for the distance you plan to shot at. I have had amazing performance with black cloud steel loads and wingmaster HD loads at 40 yards on the pattern board through nothing more than a cylinder bore 20 gauge.

Regarding the poly-choke, they are not bad I have had guns over the years equiped with them but I think you will find carrying 4-5 different types of shot shells will do alot more for you range and pattern wise than the poly-choke will.

Good luck with your project