Author Topic: How rare is the 157 30-30 toper with mannli forearm?  (Read 727 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
How rare is the 157 30-30 toper with mannli forearm?
« on: June 23, 2012, 02:34:04 AM »
How rare are these as i just picked one up at the candy store and its the first i have ever seen? I have seen the 158 but if correct it has the standard forearm. Any special tips for the forearm on these or just go with the o ring?

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
Re: How rare is the 157 30-30 toper with mannli forearm?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 02:38:01 AM »
I don't have any info for you but I'd like to see a picture of it if you can.

Offline av-doctor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 02:56:04 AM »
They're a dime a dozen and since you only have one i can only give you $.00833333 for it,where can i send payment?   LOL  actually they show up from time to time,rarity is unknown but i love that look and if i ever see another one i'll jump on it(i've only ever saw one at a GS and it was priced high $500 iirc) show some pics plz.

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 03:01:59 AM »
I have one in 22 Hornet that I have had since the 80's didn't buy it new but it wasn't very old when I bought it (right after H&R closed their doors).

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 03:03:40 AM »
Will post a picture tomorrow. The barrel on it had a little exterior issue on the top for about 6 inches. looks like the the last owner oiled the rear open site and stood the gun in a corner for some time. the oil ran on the barrel and discolored but didnt rust the barrel. i did my first re - blue job on this barrel last night and it turned out great. Also the finish on the stock set was poor so I stripped it this morning and stained and put my first of 5 coats tru oil on it. All that and i havent even shot the gun yet. the bore is clean as a whistle and the crown looks good. The receiver is AP serial # and is color cased hardened but the hammer is loose but does fire when pulled back but something is broke in there that i will have to fix. Probobly payed a little more than i should have but not to much that it kept me from saying ill take it. Hopefully this one shoots as well as my other 30-30. my son is 2 and was thinking when looking at it that this is one i am going to fix up and give to him one day. hope all works out with it. Pictures to follow. Oh that is if his two older sisters dont take it. ;D 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 03:30:31 AM »
Congrats DH, I've never seen one live, but would jump on it if I ever it if I do!! Here are some pics I gleaned from the internet years ago.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 03:40:50 AM »
that is it Tim it the twin. Looking at the serial # its 76  year which was when the tranfer bar was added on the model 155. I mentioned a loosness in the hammer on mine which is model 157 but i have tried a case just primed and she goes off do you think it should be that way on this receiver or tight like the newer models?  Didnt know if the presence or lack of a transfer bar would cause this.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 03:46:11 AM »
The hammer and/or pin can always be replaced if they're worn, Numrich usually has em in stock.  ;)

Tim

Offline reclusej

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 04:16:31 AM »
Here is my donation to this to this site.
It is a 30-30 cal. and born in 1980. Great
condition. Probably two boxes of ammo through
it. No it's not for sale.  reclusej  :) ;) 8)
I own a gun , not to kill some one but
so no one tries to kill me !!!

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 02:23:26 AM »
Well finished with the barrel blueing and stock refinish. Here is how she turned out. Just have to attach the stock and plate and reinstall the rear sight. I think it turned out well.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 02:45:06 AM »
Looks like it turned out great 8)   I'll be keeping an eye out for one of those.
Let us know how it shoots. Are you ever going to scope it?
Looks like it has the low hammer, nice for a small scope.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 06:05:25 AM »
bigvarm I will probobly scope it and see how well she actually shoots with my hand loads. I am hoping if this one shoots the 125 sierra pro hunters as well as my other that I might just keep it with open sights and work on my other one with 150 grain sierra  bullets. That way the lighter bullet with open sights would work bet with less recoil. But who knows if she does shoot that well i might just keep the scope on as i always say opens are ok but most of my hunting is at paper so who knows . next is to get this hammer spring fixed and get shooting.

Offline PineyCreek22

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 07:19:05 AM »
Deerhunter#1 that 30/30 Topper is beeeyuuuutiifulll ;D  Did a good job on it. Looking forward to how it shoots for you.  Just as a matter of curiosity is the forearm attached with 1 or 2 screws?
Piney Creek
custom .357 mag monoblock, custom 30-30 Handi

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 07:23:30 AM »
One barrel screw which is actually the sling stud. And a small screw on the barrel cap

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 03:29:41 AM »
well i though maybee I could send it bach to H&R to see about the receiver repair but no such luck. That said I am going to have to take it apart myself to see what is wrong and get parts. I have never taken on apart so any info is needed. As mentioned the issue is the hammer. Pull it back and pull the trigger and she fires. after firing the hammer has some play forward and back and isnt all the way down. Where should I start with investingation meaning what receiver pins should i remove and what should i be liiking for? I looked in faq saw the listed diagram and where to get extra powder springs but want to make sure I am only takeing apart what is needed. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 03:44:12 AM »
Both Perklo's and Raynor's trigger instructions will get you there, you have to remove the trigger group to replace the hammer and spring, there's no short cut, the slave pin and the wood hammer wedge(FAQs) to hold the hammer back make it easy to reassemble.  ;)

Tim

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 05:13:18 AM »
Tim i looked at them and they will def be used when trying to reasemble. i got it all apart and after looking at it everything looks to be there and no springs are broken. i am going to try and put it back together and hope that maybee one of the springs was just out of alignement and she is good. If not all i can think of is that the springs have got week like the trigger or hammer spring from use. will let you know how it goes but might as well get some extra parts anyway as they may not be available next time for this gun. Picture attached if you think anything as far as parts look unusual please let me know. thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 05:30:25 AM »
Weak hammer springs are a common issue, sometimes even on new firearms, I always recommend replacing with a Wolff extra power spring which I do on all of mine when I R&R the frame components. Midway sells them, but Wolff has a better price when you buy a five pack, be sure to order the double coil spring which is what yours is, you're not likely to need 5 of those tho unless they'll mix and match the single coil and double coil.  ;)

Tim

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 06:00:14 AM »
Tim should i even worry about replaceing the other two springs or is this the spring that usually is the issues. The others are small i wouldnt think they would be an issue will just have to order them elswhere.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 06:32:37 AM »
The only other spring I replace is the latch spring on high pressure chamberings(FAQs), not really an issue on the 30-30 unless you were hot rodding it which I wouldn't advise on a cast iron framed Topper with the brazed/soldered underlug. I always cut a coil off the trigger spring to help reduce trigger pull weight a little, but best advice is do the hone first (if needed) then shorten the spring if you want a lighter pull, otherwise leave it as is. I've done a trigger job on an older M158, the sear notch was very deep and really not easy to lighten very much without removing a lot of material which can be scary cuz once the surface hardening is removed, they wear quickly and can become unsafe too soon, got it from about 10-12lbs down to ~4lbs just by polishing the mating surfaces and called it good.

Tim