Author Topic: Conversion cylinder question..  (Read 1863 times)

Offline verzilli

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
Conversion cylinder question..
« on: April 20, 2012, 07:27:10 AM »
Hi folks.  I have a pietta 1851 in 44 Cal.  I may want to get a Howells conversion cylinder in 45 ACP. I emailed them and asked the question below, but no response.

They say to use a "45 acp target load".  What is that?  I assume no +p, jacketed, etc.  Would a target load be the lightest lead load available, maybe 800 fps?

Thanks.

Offline curator

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Conversion cylinder question..
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »
Keep in mind that the "normal" pressure for the .45ACP cartridge is 16-20,000psi and the .44 cap & ball revolver is designed for about 10-12,000 psi. If you shoot lead (not jacketed-hardball) ammo with pressures in the 10-12,ooo psi range you will be fine. Push the limits and your hand gun and your body parts will be at risk.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 02:50:22 PM »
I have always been suspicious of cartridge conversions.  The pressure levels being so different, and the cylinder loading requiring either extensive gunsmithing, or cylinder removal every time the gun is loaded or unloaded.  Then too is cylinder endshake issues.  With my Remington (Uberti built) end shake and cylinder gap is controlled by the pawl spring.  This is too soft for even soft .45 acp loads. 

However, if you must try it, target loads are available.  Since the manufacturer will not state their defination of target ammo you are left to your own best judgement.  Target loads are consistent, with low standard deviations in velocity, and bullet weight. This is not always low pressure, nor is it always low velocity.  Stick with low or standard velocity, and lead bullets and you should be ok.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline verzilli

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 03:20:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I guess I am also skeptical.  I may just cool it for a while and read more reports...

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 04:05:07 PM »
I'd looked into them, but it's a lot of money.  I think I'll stick to shooting .45 colts out of my blackhawk.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline verzilli

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 06:34:51 AM »
@ tacklebury, I agree.  I have a sp101 in 357 and a 480 ruger.  Probably stick to "era-correct"guns.  $260 for a cylinder starts to get you into new gun territory!

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 07:31:33 AM »
The question recurrs.  The pressure vessel is the cylinder.  Both Howell (R&D) and Kirst use 4140 and 4150 steel for the cylinders.  The pressure by the time the bullet gets to the bore is not a problem for the cap & ball barrel.  The only thing necessary is to make sure the barrel's forcing cone is correct, it's often too steep for a conical bullet.  Make sure the wedge is in good shape and the arbor pin is tight. 
A target load would mean a lead, not jacketed bullet, at CAS/SASS velocity. Either 45ACP or 45Colt, 45Schofield or 45Special loaded smokeless or black powder to Cowboy Action velocities are safe in a conversion cylinder.
I use 200 gr bullets as the slow twist of the cap & ball barrel won't stabilize a long heavy bullet as well as a modern barrel's faster twist.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 05:15:02 AM »

To answer the original question, .45 acp target loads (also called softball loads) are down loaded shells that are specifically used and required for certain indoor target matches, at distances of 50 feet or so.  They are made to be accurate, and just powerful enough to operate the slide of a 1911 auto.
    The most popular brand of these is Federal Gold Match, which come in both 230 grain bullet loads and I think 185 grain loads.  They are expensive, about $35 a box or more.  You can get them through most big companies, such as Midway and sometimes Cabellas.
   I do not reload and can't give advice on that subject, but I believe that the factory specs for these softballs is about 750 feet per second, as opposed to 850 feet per second.  Still a hard hitting round for a handgun.
   For me, I just don't see the appeal of shooting this ammo with a conversion cylinder out of an Italian remake of a blackpowder cap and ball.  It looks like the cylinder has to be removed for each reload, and then unscrewed to open it up for new shells, and then put back into the revolver.  What a slow boring process, and for what?
  Best Mannyrock

Offline AndyHass

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 07:36:42 AM »

For me, I just don't see the appeal of shooting this ammo with a conversion cylinder out of an Italian remake of a blackpowder cap and ball.  It looks like the cylinder has to be removed for each reload, and then unscrewed to open it up for new shells, and then put back into the revolver.  What a slow boring process, and for what?
  Best Mannyrock

It's not nearly as slow as you think.  I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I can reload an 1858 and get shooting again.  I keep my loads on the lights side so they fall out with a couple shakes of the cylinder.  The backplate sits on an indexing pin, you do NOT need to unscrew it.

Offline Flint

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 05:16:25 PM »
To back up AndyHass, watch "Pale Rider".  And Clint wasn't working as fast as it can be done.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life