Author Topic: Store clerk fired for refusing to accept EBT card as payment for cigarettes  (Read 975 times)

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
This woman tried to stand up against the welfare state and lost her job over it. This is truly disgusting that people not only receive free money from the taxpayers but also have laws that protect them when they want to spent the taxpayers money on beer and cigarettes. >:(

Watch the video, you'll be proud of the clerk but very angry at the system:
http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Peterborough-clerk-says-she-was-fired-over-EBT-cards/-/9857858/15276636/-/3n84t/-/index.html

Peterborough clerk says she was fired over EBT cards

PETERBOROUGH, N.H. -

Jackie Whiton, a six-year employee of the Big Apple, said she was fired after a dispute with her boss over accepting EBT cards as payment for cigarettes.
"I gave two weeks' notice and tried to bow out gracefully," said Whiton, of Antrim. "But the next day, I was fired."

Whiton said she declined to accept an EBT card as payment for a package of cigarettes. The Electronic Benefit Transfer cards are used by state benefits departments to issue cash to recipients, and they can be used like debit cards.

Whiton said her boss told her she can't refuse to sell beer and cigarettes to customers, because, according to the Department of Health and Human Services, EBT or state assistance money can be used to purchase tobacco products.

DHHS said 14,000 households received monthly cash benefits from the state in the past year, compared to more than 56,000 households that received food stamp assistance, which is restricted by federal law from being used on items such as cigarettes.

"No such law was ever imposed on cash benefits, and therefore we don't have the authority to restrict how people use it," said Terry Smith of DHHS. "It is a moot point in that anybody can go to an ATM, withdraw cash and spend it invisibly anyway."

The state has distributed more than $36 million in cash benefits this year. Smith said the EBT system saved the state millions of dollars in the first year it was enacted. Previously, recipients were issued checks, which could also be cashed and spent on anything.

"I just feel the taxpayer should be aware of where their money is going," Whiton said.

New Hampshire officials said no state in the country has restrictions on how cash benefits can be spent. They said enforcing restrictions would require an expensive infrastructure to be created.

[/font][/size][/color]

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
Austerity measures begin with the abolition of welfare.   When they riot and place people in fear of imminent bodily harm, we can shoot them.     

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline DDZ

• Trade Count: (0)
Come on guys these are poor people that can't afford smokes and beer. Isn't it the governments duty to provide us safety, housing, clothing, food, cell phones, extra minutes for the cell phones, cable tv, cigarettes, and beer?   
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
My Pop always said that in most cases of welfare it was to pay the low life's for not committing crimes and rioting but it didn't always work. He also said about them and criminals that Hitler would shoot a few and the rest would fall in line real fast. 

Offline crustylicious

• A Real Regular
  • Reading is fundamental, comprehension optional!
What part of illegal doesn't she understand?
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and the wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell
"The speaking in perpetual hyperbole is comely in nothing but love" Francis Bacon, Sr.
Voting is like driving a car- choose (D) to go forward- choose (R) to go backwards!
When all think alike, no one thinks very much. Albert Einstein

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
Hopefully this might wake up some people in that state, and reform the EBT rules. All states should crack down on the fraud that exists. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
I just love it when my wife and I are standing in line at the check out with bologna and hot dogs and they buy steak and ribs and sea food with our money!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
Sounds to me like Jackie Whiton got fired for failing to do her job... and probably, for outright refusing to straighten up and do her job, and then presuming that her job was to make policy.
FAIL!
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
I just love it when my wife and I are standing in line at the check out with bologna and hot dogs and they buy steak and ribs and sea food with our money!

LONGTOM
That reminds me of the first few years I lived in Florida I always wanted a custom van with the extended roof in all but couldn't afford one I just drove a bare bones chevy van without air . But anyway when I was shopping one day I  was at the deli section and this Latin male was ordering a bunch of stuff that I would love to have had and he knew I was waiting and then he started with Ill have a quarter pound of this that or the other thing, then I got pissed and just went to the pre packed junk well anyway at the checkout line he was in the next line over he had a ton of stuff and a big birthday cake and paid for it all with food stamps and the real pisser was when I went to my car guess what he was driving?

Offline m-g Willy

This clerk did the exact same thing obama did by ignoring what the law says.
obama is going to ignore AZ. legal policy on illegals and this clerk is going to ignore the policy on what and who can buy what items.
No different than if I was a cop and gave you a ticket for turning right on red when it is legal , but my own opinion is I don't think it should be! So here's your ticket.

Offline powderman

Come on guys these are poor people that can't afford smokes and beer. Isn't it the governments duty to provide us safety, housing, clothing, food, cell phones, extra minutes for the cell phones, cable tv, cigarettes, and beer?

DDZ. You forgot expensive body piercings, ugly tats, computers and hi speed internet, punk hairdos, name brand clothes and shoes, etc. There are a lot of folks, especially elderly or disabled, sick or injured that really need the help and I'm good with that. Unfortunately there are a lot of folks whose only disability is lazybuttitis. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
I don't get it big Dan! She quit her job. She gave two weeks notice and Big Apple decided they didn't need the two weeks. But looks to me like she quit, rather than being fired.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline powderman

She gave notice expecting to work 2 more weeks. She was  giving respect to her employer by giving them 2 weeks to find a replacement for her, a goodwill gesture on her part. Her honesty and loyalty was rewarded with her being fired. The 2 weeks would also have given her time to find another job. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline crustylicious

• A Real Regular
  • Reading is fundamental, comprehension optional!
Just what every profit driven employer wants- a disgrutled (dis)respectful (un)loyal cashier full of (bad)will hanging around for an extra two weeks!

It was a goodwill gesture on his part because the extra two weeks would have only delayed the unemployment rewards she so deserves.

She should have joined a union!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and the wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell
"The speaking in perpetual hyperbole is comely in nothing but love" Francis Bacon, Sr.
Voting is like driving a car- choose (D) to go forward- choose (R) to go backwards!
When all think alike, no one thinks very much. Albert Einstein

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
Hey Crusty and YT3, got an idea. Put your money where your mouth is. Start a business, and hire the person that she refused to sell cigarettes to. I'll hire this Jackie Whiton as a clerk. Wanna bet who stays in business longer??gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline m-g Willy

Another thought....You are eligable for unemployment if you lose your job for just about reason ...except if you QUIT.
Maybe this clerk thought being fired and collecting unemployment beat just quiting and getting nothing!

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
Hey Crusty and YT3, got an idea. Put your money where your mouth is. Start a business, and hire the person that she refused to sell cigarettes to. I'll hire this Jackie Whiton as a clerk. Wanna bet who stays in business longer??gypsyman

You think that hiring a person who just told her last boss "by her actions" that she will make her own rules is a good idea?
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.