Author Topic: Bullet size and chamber throats  (Read 406 times)

Offline HGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Bullet size and chamber throats
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:58:57 AM »
I've read that it is best for cast bullet size to match the throat size in a revolver. Does this mean they should push through easily or is a tight fit okay too? Mine push through with some effort. Also, is the same true for jacketed bullets?  I have some that push through easily and some that fall through with no resistance in my FA 44 special. Are they both okay to use? Is one better than the other?

Thanks, HGunner

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Re: Bullet size and chamber throats
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »
You need to know the diameters of your cyl throats and how uniform they are. Secondly, you need to know the diameter of the barrel throat. I think most would agree that ideally your cyl throats are just a bit larger than your barrel throat.  Referencing jacketed bullets, it isnt as critical that they are a tight fit in the cyl throat, but they should not be so loose that they drop through with no resistance.
Lead alloy bullets should stop in the throats and push through with some resistance. This is an area of wide latitude depending on bullet hardness. Low pressure loads for ''cowboy'' loads call for an alloy soft enough to slip through but offer enough resistance to not contribute to barrel leading.
The relationship between bullet hardness, bullet diameter, and the physical measurements are a delicate harmonic for best results. It may be of benefit to pursue this same question via the Cast Bullet Assn. See castbulletassoc.org if you have not already visited. This area is one of constant concern.
The throats on an FA should be more uniform than on many others.  Have you tried .429 lead bullets in it ?  The nominal bullet for 44 Spl was .427''. You'll probably find jacketed bullets in that diameter.