Author Topic: Cannon Art  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Cannon Art
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:44:18 AM »
At first I thought that this video was a put on, but after watching the whole thing it's hard not to conclude that the guy is serious. Well, you have to admit that A-R-T are the first three letters in artillery.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline quickgun

• Real soon now...
Re: Cannon Art
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 01:14:01 AM »
Very interesting and quite creative. Also a novel idea for using a cannon.
Carl

I don't fail... I succeed in finding what doesn't work!!!

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 08:26:47 AM »
It would be interesting to know what kind of containers he was using for the paint projectiles.

Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »
He needs a larger "canvas" more artillery and create his "art" to the 1812 Overture..... Now that would be something to see..... a new style of preformance art......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline buzz36

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 12:39:11 PM »
pretty creative  maybe if he wad cusion between powder adn paint and reduce his carged a little he have beter luck
wonder what he was using for paint balls

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 04:37:38 PM »
I have seen this type of Steel Art on ebay and I fell in love with it. I made a offer on a piece a few months ago but was rejected for to low a offer. I would love to have a piece of art like this.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 05:48:35 PM »
Kinda reminds me of a short film I saw many years ago where we open upon a pier into a lake.  A guy walks up with a sheet of plywood and throws it over the side of the pier onto the beach.  He then proceeds to open a dozen or so gallon cans of house paint and starts spatula-ing it out of the cans and flinging it on the plywood.  Intermittently, you see birds walking in the paint on the plywood.  He is getting splotches and streaks and all kinds of shapes from his flinging of the different colors.  Eventually he takes the plywood from the beach back to his shop (studio?) and gets out a Skilsaw and cuts the plywood into a number of angular shapes.  The closing scene shows him in fancier dress with the shapes hung on the wall of a gallery and he is schmoozing with clients who are perusing his art.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 04:35:10 AM »
If he steps in front of that muzzle often enough, the guts on the canvas ought to look real pretty.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 08:46:03 AM »
I'd like to see what kind of patterns would result if he tried firing a canister loaded with paint filled grapeshot. 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 09:13:16 AM »
I'd like to see what kind of patterns would result if he tried firing a canister loaded with paint filled grapeshot. 

I think there would be a big hole in the canvas where the canister went through.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 02:38:40 PM »
Jackson Pollack would be proud of ya!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 06:56:01 AM »
Tim,
Your breadth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me. You could have responded directly to G.G., and informed him that the abstract epressionistic painting technique which he described in reply #6, was actually invented many moons ago by Jackson Pollack (action painting).

I think there would be a big hole in the canvas where the canister went through.   ;D

George,
The canister won't be made of tin or iron sheet like the real deal, it'll be a cardboard container, and ths support isn't canvas, it's aluminum sheet. Seriously, if this latter day Rembrant could just improve his aim a little, I think this method could produce some splendid results.