Author Topic: Versatile rifle caliber  (Read 2437 times)

Offline azmark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Versatile rifle caliber
« on: February 25, 2012, 05:59:10 AM »
I want to choose a caliber for a rifle that I can use for everything from coyotes to mule deer.  I would eventually like to try for an elk, but the info I get says it's very difficult to get drawn for elk.  I would rather not have to get used to a lot of recoil at the same time that I'm working on my marksmanship skills.  The only CF I've owned is a 30-30 so that's my point of reference.  Advice I'm getting is to go with a .243 and consider something bigger when I m ready to start buying into the elk lottery, although a couple of lifelong hunters I know say they've successfully hunted elk many times with a .243.  I would consider a .270 but the recoil tables I checked show that the .270 kicks twice as hard as a 30-30.

What insight can you give me?
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
Re: Versatile rifle caliber
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:03:58 AM »
How about a .308 Winney?

Good, versatile cartridge.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline hillbill

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:06:06 AM »
i would go with the 270 if elk are in your future. however if you are looking for a lower recoil round almost as versatile as the 270 you should look at the 260 or the 6.5x55 cartridges.very good ballistics and low recoil. the 6.5 bullets are well known for good performance on game of the size you are wanting to hunt.

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:42:35 AM »
Eventually I would like to hunt elk, but I don'know how soon that migh be.  I have thought about a .308 because of the inexpesive practice ammo availabe.  As for .260 or 6.5 I would want to give them the Walmart test...see if they're on the shelf at WM to check on how easy it is to find them.  I did check 7mm-08, which was available and has good ballistics but seems pricey even online.
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline 336SC

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:31:06 AM »
How about a .308 Winney?

Good, versatile cartridge.

Agree 100%!  Been whacking stuff with mine since 1974.  Never had less than two .308's in the gunsafe!
336SC

USN, 10 Jul 1969 - 6 Dec 1973.  NRA Life Member.  Master Mason, Porter Lodge #284, 10th Masonic District.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 08:41:52 AM »
Another 308 Winchester vote.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 01:16:14 AM »
o6 and a reloading press. Even without the press theres reduced recoil 06 ammo you can buy at the store and nothing is more versitile. Most bigger stores will stock 06 ammo with bullets anywhere from a 110 grain on up to 220. You can use a 110-130 on varmits and coyotes 150-165s on deer 165s-180s on elk and 180s on up on moose or big bear. NOTHING is more versitile.
blue lives matter

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 01:45:05 AM »
If you're hunting coyotes and mule deer, you're in the wonderful West!

And if thats ALL you would shoot with your rifle, mulies and coyotes and perhaps rock chucks and rodents, I'm surprised no one has praised and suggested what a fine choice a dual purpose rifle might look like in .243, 6mm Remington, .250 Savage and .257 Roberts.

However if elk might ever be in the future, thats a game changer!  And the .270win would be an excellent choice in that case.

Don't overlook the .24 and .25 calibers for your original purpose, unless you need something bigger, in which case the .270, .308, and .30/06 are indeed responsible and good choices to kill elk with.

As for recoil, have you considered making sure to go to a synthetic stock?  Besides the recoil management and absorbtion/flexing offered by a non-wood stock, synthetic stocks are basically weather-proof and "stable" in that they don't warp, and are often lighter weight too, when carrying looooong distabces! 

Also I killed a couple cow elk with a .338WinMag in a M1500 Howa on a syntheitic stock and it did NOT feel any worse than an 06 or .270!  Certainly felt a lot less than a walnut stocked M700 in .270.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 06:46:41 AM »
Why limit yourself to just one rifle? 

Get the .243 now, shoot it and become familiar with it. When that Elk hunt comes around buy, beg, or borrow, a suitable rifle. Throw $10 a month in an envelope, won't be that long and you can pick up a decent used Elk rifle, in the meantime you may well find someone willing to lend you one. At that point put the saved money into tags.

One last thought. If you are serious about taking that one great, once in a lifetime Elk hunt, start collecting bonus points right now. Call the DNR of the state you choose and ask questions. Co. for example has areas that need 6 to be a "sure thing" that is six years. That is a long time to bide your time if not in a hurry, and still make headway. Points are nearly free so I would encourage you to look into this.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 06:58:20 AM »
EQ, has a great point...as soon as I could afford it, I had a second rifle..while some deem that foolish, lots can happen to a rifle or scope ...and it will occur when it is most important for it to function perfectly..I never like to go on a hunt with just one rifle...I have, but didn't like it...Also as Lloyd said, the old 06 is a great place to start..for about 10 years, it was my principle rifle..shot varmits and big game with it...as I added more rifles, I used it less and less..but it is a great place to start...

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 10:51:41 AM »
second rifle hell. How about a fifteenth.  ;D
blue lives matter

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 01:03:35 PM »
 ;D You are quite right Lloyd, but this guy is just starting out...he has got to get this idea of one all around rifle out of his head...
To me it is a disqusting thought one rifle :-\ :-[ ??? , if I had to just hunt with an 06,  :o :(

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 03:23:43 PM »
I had decided today to go with .270.  My first choice in the beginning was .243.  If the odds are really that slim to get an elk tag then maybe I should just go with the .243.  There's nothing wrong with the .243 for antelope or deer, right?
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 06:08:22 AM »
stay with the .270...

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 04:36:49 PM »
I had decided today to go with .270.  My first choice in the beginning was .243.  If the odds are really that slim to get an elk tag then maybe I should just go with the .243.  There's nothing wrong with the .243 for antelope or deer, right?
Preference points man preference points. Start now, if you never use them you are out little to nothing
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 07:07:52 AM »
 I've shot alot of game/varmints with .243/6mm Rem/and a couple 6mm wildcats. It can kill any mule deer at reasonable range. A .270 is a great round, and with 130gr ammo is very easy to shoot, but it is not as versatile as the .243 "for vamints to deer" UNLESS you handload for it. A spare rifle is always a smart choice. I recommend starting off with the .243 and then later, get a 30.06. You can't go wrong! Have a ball!

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 07:17:08 AM »
 :) RevJim, your comments on the .270 are quite true and remind me of the days of my youth...the .243 had just hit the market..while it was hot in the writing press as a combo caliber,  when I talked with the local hunters about and all around caliber, they almost always recommended two calibers for varmits thru big game...they were the .270 or .30-06...I guess they are too much for p. dogs, but rockchucks on up were targets for my first 06...I didn't pick up a .243 until I was at least 26...have owned several plus 6mm's and most of the .25's from 25-20 though the .257 wea..but depite shooting probably 80 plus head of big game with 24's and 25's, I still don't trust them completely..but I did take my last three deer last season with the .25-06 with no pro blems...

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 04:43:14 PM »
............... you should look at the 260 or the 6.5x55 cartridges.very good ballistics and low recoil. the 6.5 bullets are well known for good performance on game of the size you are wanting to hunt.

Agreed ! ;)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »
25-06!  I'm kind of partial, I like the 25-06 and would not hesitate to go for Moose with it.  Black Bear yea, Grizzly not intentional, but if it came down to it yes I'd use the 25-06.  Range is great, better than most.  For smaller Deer Sized game maximum effective range is out to 500 yards, with the 110gr bullet.  300 yards for Elk.  I shoot Coyotes out to 700 yards with good results.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 12:49:46 AM »
I would go for the .308, then the 30-06.  I think the larger diameter bullets would be better on deer, and especially if elk is in the mix.  You can download either or get factory varmit loads for them.  And yes, practice ammo is cheaper for .308. 

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 11:45:14 AM »
I'm not sure what is avaliable for factory ammo in any cartridge. But in this case I believe I'd go with the 260 Rem or 7-08. then if you get and elk tag and can't afford the new rifle at the time, either one of them will work fine. I don't think I'd care to recommend anything smaller than a 26 caliber when the possibility of elk is in there. The 308 is a great cartridge and I haven't been without one for a whole lot of years. But when you throw in varmits, 308 will certainily work but so will the 260 and 7-08 and with lighter bullets and a bit less recoil. 308 recoil is not objectional. If you do get into handloading the 260 or 7-08 can both be loaded with 140gr bullet's for elk and those bullet's work very well. If it's a popularity contest, I pick the 6.5x55 and the 7x57. But I do reload for everything. One of the things I really like about all cases on the 308 case is a shorter action and barrel. You don't need a longer barrel to bring out all it has and there's no need to carry a heavier rifle than necessary.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 05:03:51 AM »
One can handload the 30-30 for varminting but you'l need a good scope for this task.

.243 is an excellent deer & varmint choice but is not a proper elk cartrdige at all.  30-06 and .308 have more recoil but better for the big 'uns.  I killed a dandy bull moose with my .308 years ago - no problems.

Good hunting to you.

TR