Author Topic: After market wood for Handi rifle?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline jaysouth

• Trade Count: (3)
After market wood for Handi rifle?
« on: July 15, 2012, 11:50:04 AM »
I have a .357 Handi that I am learning to love.  The plastic stock is kinda ugly however.
Anyone make aftermarket wood for the SB-2 handi?
Thanks

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: After market wood for Handi rifle?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »
Hi,

Boyd's and GSI (Gunstock Inc) have or have had aftermarket stocks for Handis.  ALso, you can buy some stocks directly from H&R and but would need to call CS and ask them what is available.  Numrich and Brownells also have stocks for Handis but never know what they have in stock.  Best option is to look at the GBO H&R Classifieds and buy a takeoff set from another GBO member.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline glockmeister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 02:22:59 AM »
jaysouth, welcome to GBO first of all. As to your question all I can add is +1 to what has beensaid. Gus Stock Inc. and Boyd's both have aftermarket stocks for the Handi. I am going to be ordering one later this month after I check finances. Are you good at wood working, if so a semi-finished blank would be nice, add your own touch to the Handi. That is what I will be doing when I order mine. Will you be using open sights or scope sights, that question will help determine the type of stock you should order. Take care, John.
It's not what you do, but how you do what you do, that counts.
Just keep on keeping on!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 06:19:57 AM »
WELCOME Jaysouth!!

The guys are right, this is about all your options as it pertains to H&R wood/stocks in general.

If your interested in selling, yours have value and could be sold/traded thru the classiifeds to fund part of the new stocks.

H&R offered hard wood we affectionately refer to it as "pallet wood" its Birch or Beech (OR BOTH) then laminated in colors and natural. Most common is probably Cinnamin and then Green, But also Yellow and Gray as well as Red and Orange too have been offered on some limited run models.
Used stocks run $100-130 for std and up to $200 for the less common colors.

Your blk syn stocks sell for about $50-75 for the older style and $65-80 for the newer.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jaysouth

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 03:50:49 AM »
Many thanks for the replies.  I am looking at these sites now.  My first order of business is to develop  loads that meets my needs for hunting and plinking.
I was thinking about reaming to .357 Max, but you can only see about 30-40 yards where I hunt and have blinds.  Last year, I killed a doe from my 'treehouse' at a range of 5 yards straight down with a 9mm Glock.  After one round between her shoulder blades, she went down without a step.  So, I know  that a .357 Mag will do the job for me where I hunt.
Thanks again.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 04:32:56 PM »
I put the BC carbine stock set on my 357 Maxi.  I like the feel and the shorter forend goes well with the 22" barrel.  It has a bobbed hammer and a low mounted scope.  Works fine with my short neck. No recoil pad required with this caliber either.

And I got a good price for the set on the GBO classifieds. Someone here will want your plastic stock, too.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...