Author Topic: OH MY!  (Read 881 times)

Offline timbertoes

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.texoma.net/~goonair
OH MY!
« on: February 13, 2004, 12:58:45 PM »
I dd not realize that a 45-70 round was an ARTILLERY Round!!! :-D  :-D  :-D

Picked up that shiny new Handi today.  & bought a box of rem 300 grain HP.

Once in the car with all my goodies, I took my first long look at the cartridge. Dudes, sent shivers up my spine!!! what a  HONKER.

let the fun begin. I'll gve the bore a swabbing tonight, and be at the range tommorow.

Thanks all you NEF guys for showing me the light.
And the fire ball.  :eek:  :shock:  :eek:

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
OH MY!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 03:12:20 PM »
Timbertoes,
  Welcome to the big league. They are a handful, but a lot of fun. Have you noticed that most of the bullet is hidden in the brass? I've just gotten my act together to start reloading for the 45/70. I'm starting with the 405 gr. cast bullets, and looking forward to loading some bigger cast bullets. Should make for a great deer gun. Don't forget to post a range report!
Don

Offline timbertoes

• http://www.texoma.net/~goonair
OH MY!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 03:32:27 PM »
The casting and black powder forum here has already got my brain a'scheming.....those guys are having way to much fun :)

just need to go dig up more stuff out of the dark reccess of my garage and shed to put on EBAY  :-D  :-D

thats how I paid for the Handi!!!!

Offline JPH45

OH MY!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 03:42:16 PM »
timbertoes, just wait till you pull the trigger :eek: Not that bad really, as compared to, oh say.................., 12 guage slugs :shock:

No really, the factory 300 JHP's push around 1800 fps and generate about 26 foot pounds of recoil energy in a stock 45-70 Handi. While noticable they are not uncomfortable, unless you are shooting off a bench...They pack a pretty good bite then.

Got my Lee 457-340 grain bullet mold and dies Wednesday, cast some bullets and loaded up some last night. Shot them today, not to bad.

Using Unique, 13.6 grains (RCBS Lil Dandy rotor #24) the 340 grain bullet is pushed along at a leasiurely 1114 fps. Not uncomfortable to shoot from the bench at all, but I am betting that when it is juiced up to 1500 fps or so, she'll pack a wallop for sure. Going to shoot mine for a while with this mild load to get used to the gun before I juice it up any.

By the by, those 300 JHP's are devestating on whitetails. Hits are obvious and unmistakeable.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
OH MY!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 03:47:03 PM »
Every ounce of weight you add to the gun, helps lower that recoil energy number. I'm hoping to get at least another two pounds into the stock of my BC.
Don

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
OH MY!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 06:11:51 AM »
I gotta get me one'na them things, think I'm gonna add it to my .38-55 thou so I'll have a BC. I believe a new .44 rifle is in order thou before you can't get one.And then maybe a ..............(To be continued).......... :mrgreen:  :blaster:
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
OH MY!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 05:18:58 PM »
You guys talking about those 45-70 are going to get me in trouble.I can't use one for hunting in Delaware or the parts of Maryland I hunt in and have no need of one but I want one. I want it more and more every post I read about it. I wish I could get it as an accesory barrel on one of the 3 sb1 recievers I already have. This is why my wife hates this board.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
OH MY!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 09:52:09 PM »
Marcus
Some of the older SB-1 receivers were fitted with the low pressure rounds from NEF.  Call them with your S# to find out.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
OH MY!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 05:59:37 AM »
Markus.
             I know of a farm in upper Frederick county here in Maryland which is on the rifle side of the firing line.  So when I get back from my little vacation Uncle Sam is sending me on. Buy yourself a Handy in 45-70 and come on down.  I'll hunt with you any day.  Lots of deer in these parts.

Dave H.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
OH MY!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 02:36:08 PM »
I will definitly take you up on that offer Dave. Get the job done over there and be careful. I see some scary movement under fire procedures going on from time to time. Get them boys straight.Ft. Meade is no place for a grunt anyway. If you ever want to shoot a nice little doe in Delaware I've got the place. Good luck and take care.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
OH MY!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 02:44:08 PM »
Quote from: Markus
You guys talking about those 45-70 are going to get me in trouble. This is why my wife hates this board.

Markus,
  Come on and join the club, your wife will hate this board whether you get a 45/70 or not. My wife did. Love your signature!
Don

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
OH MY!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 02:05:01 AM »
Hey Timbertoes
 I've been told..... that the 45/70 was being considered as an anti-aircraft round in the 1920s or 1930s. Seems that there were plenty supplies from government surplus, and the planes of the day were more...vulnerable.
 Fully auto weapons, 500 gr slugs, yeeeshh!!
 Hey Markus, hang in there, Dave is gonna get you fixed up fine!
                                           .................Woodbutcher

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
OH MY!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2004, 03:32:58 PM »
Hey Guys.  As this is my last night in my old bed I guess it will be awhile till I get to post again. But I will check in when I can.  
You all Have fun while I'm gone and remmber someone put a big ole Tom down for me.

God Bless America !!!!!!!!!!
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
OH MY!
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 03:39:18 PM »
DaveH, God Bless and come back safe, our prayers are with you, Thanks....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley