Author Topic: EBAY BOMB  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Doc Brown.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
EBAY BOMB
« on: July 18, 2012, 05:50:43 PM »
Just when I though ebay could get no worse I find this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Powder-Signal-Mortar-Cannon-Stainless-Steel-/330765462773?pt=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item4d03286cf5

I guarantee this thing sells.

You can tell this is a pipe or tube? I think? If it is a tube welded to a plate I think someone is going to regret this purchase. The welds not even finished.

Offline subdjoe

Re: EBAY BOMB
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 10:18:33 PM »
And he says the base is stainless, but says nothing about the tube.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:43:05 PM »
He could title it, "how to launch a tube".

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline josiah712

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:19:40 AM »

He tells that in the questions and answers section.  He says "seamless carbon steel tube", so only the base is stainless.
"It is when the people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains"

Patrick Henry

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 02:45:37 AM »

He tells that in the questions and answers section.  He says "seamless carbon steel tube", so only the base is stainless.

Ah!  He posted that on eBay after I posted here.  I had also asked him what kind of pipe it is.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 04:29:31 AM »
looks like hydraulic cylinder tube to me.  5,000 psi rated better than water pipe, but still...
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline de_lok

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 06:39:48 AM »
This person should seriously consider removing this product for sale, period, end of converstaion. This "pipe bomb" as refered to earlier could put this person at great liability risk. Somebody gets hurt with this thing he/she could possibly be in big doo doo. Many of you guys who are familiar with acceptable manufacture guidelines for this type product spot alarming design defects at first glance. I personally wouldn't let anybody even look at it muchless offer it for sale on a marketing website with the exposure of ebay. This person also offers to "custom build" one to have the bore size match a customers request! Ohh my gosh, hope it isn't made like this one. At some point in the future if I am able to make scale model cannons for resale again, you guys have my full permission to tie me to a pole and horse whip me if I offer this kind of unsafe junk to the public!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
No, don't get your hopes up, you will never get the chance!lol  8)
Dewayne

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 08:01:58 AM »
I asked him what the barrel is made from and he told me this.

"The bore is made from seamless carbon steel tube. It has been proof tested well beyond "normal" stresses."

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 08:25:30 AM »
I asked if it has a breach plug and this is the response.

"It is welded directly to the plate. This construction method has been tested through many cycles over the course of years and is still going strong. If you are looking for different sizes, materials, or designs I can make you a custom cannon."

This design is not safe and I dont think the maker understands the dangers.

Offline de_lok

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 12:32:16 PM »
I asked if it has a breach plug and this is the response.

"It is welded directly to the plate. This construction method has been tested through many cycles over the course of years and is still going strong. If you are looking for different sizes, materials, or designs I can make you a custom cannon."

This design is not safe and I dont think the maker understands the dangers.
I will second that. I wonder how many cases of beer were possibly consumed during the "testing" phase of this product :o  Piece of pipe of unspecified metalurgical content welded to a flat plate of dissimalar metal with a single pass (mig?) weld that doesn't go all the way around. Gap between the plate and tube, vent drilled nearly to the bottom, doesn't appear to incorporate a 37 degree angle for filler weld, gap between tube and plate obviously goes all the way around as a result of the thermal properties of the welding process incouraging "coking" or hard carbon build up that can result in detonation (while loading) on and on and on........................................You know, its ok if someone wants to live on the edge and endanger their lives, but it aint ok when they feel the obligation to share that danger with others.............Whew, just sayin....................

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 03:10:15 PM »
 :'(   
So heres my conversation with ebay bomb builder.  :'(

Dear dockholidaiy,

My I ask why it seems dangerous? I have traditionally made them from a single piece of stock, however I received requests for signal cannons with a baseplate for mounting so that they are secured. Keep in mind that these are explicitly not for use with projectiles.

Dear mjm1188,

Its dangerous for many reasons. All of which you will learn about when someone dies. The majority of all the pressures created from the blast will be at the radius of the breach of which yours is a plate with an unfinished weld. Do what you want but why would you want to hurt someone?

I kind of feel like if I do nothing im aiding in a murder.

Offline josiah712

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »
Even I'm not comfortable with this one.  But if you buy me one, I will proof test it for you, and tell you when and where she went.

Patrick Henry

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 03:38:38 PM »
Even I'm not comfortable with this one.  But if you buy me one, I will proof test it for you, and tell you when and where she went.

Im afraid the proof tester will be some old timer and his 2 grandchildren. Oh well if I cant get through to this guys common senses then at least I tried.

Offline josiah712

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 03:44:44 PM »
Understood.

Patrick Henry

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 04:00:51 PM »
You can't sell old used brass or any part of a bullet on flea bay, but you can sell a home made cannon?

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 04:20:56 PM »
You can't sell old used brass or any part of a bullet on flea bay, but you can sell a home made cannon?

Ben

Ebay does not allow the sale of Cannons. Not even a toy cannon.  They only allow signal cannons.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 09:31:36 PM »

Ebay does not allow the sale of Cannons. Not even a toy cannon.  They only allow signal cannons.

I just did a search for "toy cannon" and 4588 auctions came up.

On a side note, ebay has quietly dropped their previous ban on auctions of modern gun parts like barrels, triggers, 10 round mags and such.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 09:38:25 PM »
 I don't know why anyone would pay the current bid for the bomb mentioned in the 1st post when you can get two bombs for the price of one. All stainless too...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOUBLE-BARREL-SIGNAL-SALUTE-NOISE-MAKING-CANNON-/180927925377?pt=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item2a20250c81
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline josiah712

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 01:29:30 AM »
It looks a lot beefier too.  But only half the caliber.

Patrick Henry

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 02:45:34 AM »
the pipe looks like sch 120 or thicker . The device looks like those use to launch fireworks .

I have been a plumber / pipefitter for 40 years and have seem several "cannons" like this . The most dangerous thing is they work ! for a few times and folks get confident they are safe then crowd around for the blow up. I do admit most I saw were fueled with OXY and ACT mix from cutting torches . A 4 inch one would send rocks out to 400 yards+. A 2 1/2 inch one would seed a ball a long ways . Both were dangerous at best.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !