Author Topic: Stock & Forend Replacement  (Read 609 times)

Offline mbecnel

• Trade Count: (0)
Stock & Forend Replacement
« on: July 17, 2012, 02:21:25 AM »
I have two H&R rifles that I would like to replace the stock & forend.

1. Youth model wood 7mm08
2. Full size synthetic 45-70

I would like to replace both with stocks from Boyd's. Will any fitting be required? If so should I get the unfinished models and finish them myself? What would be the best finish to apply?

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/STER-NEF-OR-H-R-STK-FC-F-p/640-198.htm

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/NEF-OR-H-R-UNIVERSAL-FE-FC-F-p/404-505.htm

Thanks
Mike

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
Re: Stock & Forend Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 05:09:55 AM »
Tru-oil gives an excelent finish. Apply several coats, buff with 000 Steelwool between coats. If you want a duller finish, buff the final coat with the steelwool, if you want it to shine, don't buff the last coat. Here's my last hand made stock, still glossy.

"skin that 'en out and I'll get ye nother"

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Stock & Forend Replacement
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 05:34:01 AM »
There will be no fitting required with a finisher stock and little wood to metal fit on a unfinished stock. The acception being the barrel channel.

I agree try oil is a good readily Atainable finish. Lin seed and Lin speed oils are also long standing favorites. More recietfly people have discovered my favorite Tounge oil. But even polyurathayne and she lack have been used with good results.

Like all such thinks the devil is in the details. Details are prep work, as poor prep with make for a poor finished product. Sprnd the time to properly ready the wood for the finish you will be rewarded with a beautiful long lasting stock set.

Good luck,
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.