Author Topic: well 51 0r 58  (Read 1126 times)

Offline ellerja

• Trade Count: (0)
well 51 0r 58
« on: September 07, 2012, 02:35:52 PM »
im new here and figure this would be the place to ask so here goes.i was first set on a 58 army remington.now im thinking 51 colt navy.which would be a good first C&B pistol.currently my experience has been with muzzle loaders.

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
Re: well 51 0r 58
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 02:45:53 PM »
Which ever one you chose, get a steel frame. I bought a brass frame 58, and should have got a steel frame. Live and learn.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 03:14:21 AM »
I have 4 BP revolvers and the '51 Navy is my favorite.  But they are all fun!   ;D   And ditto on the steel frame!  OH! and I prefer Uberti to the exclusion of all others...  ;)   Well, I may take a Pietta if the price was really good...  :-\   The only saving grace the '58 has is the fact that Clint Eastwood used one in one or more of his movies... Them Remingtons just ain't got no jen e sais qu...  :-\   Oh I guess they could do for the common man but not having plebian tastes I don't find them attractive...  :-\   But now, I must admit, back in my (much) younger days, I did find... well, uh "earthy" wimmins, quite um, er, "entertaining," in a fun filled, frolicking, no long term committment sort of way.   ::)

So, since I always said that guns is like wimmins, get a '58 if you ain't real serious and just want to play a bit, but sooner or later you'll get a '51!   ;)   And the good thing is, unlike wimmins, the '58 won't care a bit if you bring home another revolver!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 01:48:29 PM »
I have dozens of C&B revolvers.  Only two of them are Remington reproductions.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ellerja

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 06:06:34 AM »
Wow i see there are some pretty nasty people.I mean trolls here.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:07:04 AM »
Wow i see there are some pretty nasty people.I mean trolls here.

A few, I usually weed them out. We have a few stupid ones who feel they know all there is to know in the world so would rather make a person feel dumb rather than just say they have no clue.

And then we have my buddy Richard who is always helpful and funny at the same time. Ya won't get any bad advice from him except maybe on wimmens. How eber and they always be's a how eber he's fallen off his bike once too often and thinks he remembers all them wimmens his biking buddies told him bout.

Me I've never had a cap and ball revolver and might never. To me more trouble than they are worth so iffen I ever get one it will be for display only not shooting and the brass framed ones do look good but don't seem to hold up so well for the folks here who actually still shoot rather than like me that these days mostly just talk about the shooting I used to do afore I got so old and decrepid. Now I do good to get to the living room or front porch.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ellerja

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 11:54:38 AM »
Thank you for your fast reply.

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 04:50:16 PM »
Honest I wasn't tring to be a Troll, I had put a grin face after it. Sorry if I offended anyone. :-[

Offline El Gringo

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 11:49:48 AM »
Honest I wasn't tring to be a Troll, I had put a grin face after it. Sorry if I offended anyone. :-[
No, I believe that was me.  I frequent a forum where it gets pretty rowdy and we razz each other pretty good; specially the new guys, but its all in good fun.  Sometimes I forget where I'm at;  I have a dry, 'Monty Python / Black Adder' sense of humor... pay me no mind.

My apologizes. 

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 05:48:44 AM »
I'd take a Remington any day over a Colt.  For a full size revolver.
Especially the Remington 5 1/2 barrel .44, it handles really well.
And mine was extremely accurate and shot to point of aim.

I'm sure you can get a Colt to run well, but the lack of a top strap and the issues with the key getting worn/loose...with the attendant cylinder gap variations...

The poor sights on the Colt compared to the Remmie.

I've kept a Remington for home defense, when it was all I had.  Kept it loaded, took it to the range every two or three weeks, never failed to fire.

Whether Colt or Remington though, take care to get a good cap/nipple combination.

Now, for a smaller revolver... I do like that 5 shot Colt .36

But that's a pocket gun, not a good all-around choice.  Like a modern aluminum frame revolver, I would not shoot the little .36 Colt too much.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 12:43:55 PM »
See my sticky above this section, "Proper use of a cap and ball revolver" for details on its use.
Now, as to first-time buyers:
1. Get a revolver with a steel frame. Not only is it stronger, which gives you the option of using full charges if you wish, but steel-framed revolvers tend to be much better made. Brass-framed revolvers are, most of the time, of lesser quality (fit, finish and materials).
2. Your preference depends upon how it fits in your hand. The Colt is much better-balanced than the Remington. I like the Colt, but I also like my Remington. With properly assembled loads, either can be more accurate than you can hold.
3. For the beginner, I suggest the Remington 1858 in stainless steel and .44-caliber. Actually, that's a nonsensical statement of a sort, since I know of no one making a Remington stainless steel in .36 caliber. Nor do I know of anyone making the Colt design in stainless steel, though a few were made in the early 1980s.
4. Why I suggest stainless steel: Newcomers to black powder shooting tend to delay cleaning their gun, especially cap and ball revolvers. Such revolvers have more and smaller parts than rifles or single-shot pistols, so they are more laborious to clean. Consquently, new shooters tend to put off cleaning. Depending upon where you live, and its humidity, this can mean rust appears in hours or a few days. I live in the remote Utah desert, where humidity is low, so my revolvers will go a week or more without exhibiting rust -- but I clean them within days of shooting. None of them show pitting or rust damage of any kind.
5. The finest cap and ball revolver is the Ruger Old Army, though it's not a copy of any 19th century revolver. It's no longer produced, but was made in stainless steel. A stainless steel Ruger Old Army, with modern adjustable sights, is the epitome of cap and ball revolver design -- but not historically authentic. Myself, I like history so I gravitate to revolvers that have historical panache.
6. I suggest .44 caliber because balls of .454 and .457 diameter are readily available from Speer and Hornady on the counter, and others. I have long urged the use of .380" diameter balls in the .36-caliber, but neither Speer or Hornady make them (despite my long urging). I like the .36 because it's as accurate as the .44, but uses less powder.
Beginners need to find all components readily, so the .44 is best unless you have a ready source of .380" balls for the .36 caliber.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 02:30:25 PM »
Jawja Tofu said it, I believe it, therefore it is!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 06:21:15 AM »
Dang it ... At Law discovered my Secret Star Wars Name!  May have to hire a bounty hunter from the Feenamint Cluster to silence him ...  >:(
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."