Author Topic: Confused ............ Why the sudden upsurge in interest in the .257 Wby?  (Read 7153 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
how does that #1 264 shoot. Id dearly love to have one!
Hunters I've known seem to go through a progression.  They get their first deer rifle, then they get a magnum rifle and start reloading.  They read several loading manuals cover to cover and droul over the velocity figures of magnum cartridges.  They get bitten and then purchase a few magnums.  Once they shoot them for a dozen years and get a few gray hairs to boot, they setgo back to a standard caliber and discover that accuracy is just a better, deer drop just as dead, and they have a lighter rifle to carry in the field.  Ain't no turning back at this point.  No more magnums.

I guess I live in a time warp!  ;D I just bought another "volume" rifle, a 308 Rem SPS Tact, about to slip a Chote stock on it, but I am also working with a 264WM Number 1. Been shooting serious rifles since the mid 70's. Me and a friend I have known for years still are quite fond of the 300WM rounds, both of us shooting those dreadful heavy Sendero's. Both std. & magnums have their place for some & not for others.
And I kinda like that, I really don't want to be placed in some catagory just because I have shot for a long time.
And really for those who want a light rifle, getting one in 257Wea. is no trick, as the MKV Ultra lite does it well & others are easy to build, as the 257Wea. (the cartridge in question) is mild in recoil.
To each his own  ;)
blue lives matter

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Hunters I've known seem to go through a progression.  They get their first deer rifle, then they get a magnum rifle and start reloading.  They read several loading manuals cover to cover and droul over the velocity figures of magnum cartridges.  They get bitten and then purchase a few magnums.  Once they shoot them for a dozen years and get a few gray hairs to boot, they setgo back to a standard caliber and discover that accuracy is just a better, deer drop just as dead, and they have a lighter rifle to carry in the field.  Ain't no turning back at this point.  No more magnums.

I guess I live in a time warp!  ;D I just bought another "volume" rifle, a 308 Rem SPS Tact, about to slip a Chote stock on it, but I am also working with a 264WM Number 1. Been shooting serious rifles since the mid 70's. Me and a friend I have known for years still are quite fond of the 300WM rounds, both of us shooting those dreadful heavy Sendero's. Both std. & magnums have their place for some & not for others.
And I kinda like that, I really don't want to be placed in some catagory just because I have shot for a long time.
And really for those who want a light rifle, getting one in 257Wea. is no trick, as the MKV Ultra lite does it well & others are easy to build, as the 257Wea. (the cartridge in question) is mild in recoil.
To each his own  ;)

So far very good. I started with 120gr. BT's & going roughly .75". I have had some delays with some family business but hope to try 140 A-Max & Partitions next. I think it is going to surpass my expectations.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
I was never a big fan of the 270 until I loaded my plain vanilla 700 ADL with a Boyd stock, with Sierra 140 grain bullets.  It is a great long range rifle for me now.  Strange thing, I got the rifle in a two for one trade 20 years ago.  It was unfired.  I didn't take it out of the house until about three years ago.  It is now the rifle I loan my guests.  They can shoot it comfortably, they have confidence in it, and it turned out to be a darn accurate rifle.  I typically shoot a 7-08 or 308 when whitetail hunting because my rifles in those calibers are light and handy.

I'm a big 25-06 fan also.  It is my beanfield rifle. 

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
I never wanted a belted or non-belted magnum rifle cartridge because of my dad. He was born in 1923 and never used anything larger than a 30-06 Springfield for big game. I have found over the years that I have never been under gunned using a cartridge based off either the 30-06 Springfield or 308 Winchester parent cases. Its never been about the velocity, but accuracy an actual hunting at ethical ranges.

yooper77

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
My hawkeye does its best with the 120 bt too. Kills deer like the hammer of thor too. Ive shot over a dozen  deer with that bullet from a 150-500 yards and dont remember one ever taking more the a leap before piling up. It does alot less meat damage then some anti magnum guys will proclaim. But like i said most of them are pulling there opinions out of a body orfice not from actually using the caliber.

So far very good. I started with 120gr. BT's & going roughly .75". I have had some delays with some family business but hope to try 140 A-Max & Partitions next. I think it is going to surpass my expectations.
blue lives matter

Offline Dogshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
I happened on a Vanguard in .257 at a gun show and while I was thinking about buying it I came across another table that had all kinds of once fired brass. I went back and bought the rifle for $250, then returned to the guy with the brass. He had all of the different caliber brass priced alike. I got 10 boxes of .257 brass, in the original Weatherby boxes, for $5 per box. After shooting this rifle for a year or two, I was so impressed with the accuracy, I went and bought a Mark V Ultra Lightweight. I have used it now for 4 years and it gets out of the safe more than any other gun I have. I have taken Mule Deer, Elk, (both at relatively short ranges) and Anteloipe out to a rangefinder distance of 627 yards. The recoil (or lack thereof) is a bonus. My deer and elk season run concurrently for a week or so this year and I will probably take my 270 and 300 as backups but most likely will be carrying the .257 in the woods. 
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
I happened on a Vanguard in .257 at a gun show and while I was thinking about buying it I came across another table that had all kinds of once fired brass. I went back and bought the rifle for $250, then returned to the guy with the brass. He had all of the different caliber brass priced alike. I got 10 boxes of .257 brass, in the original Weatherby boxes, for $5 per box. After shooting this rifle for a year or two, I was so impressed with the accuracy, I went and bought a Mark V Ultra Lightweight. I have used it now for 4 years and it gets out of the safe more than any other gun I have. I have taken Mule Deer, Elk, (both at relatively short ranges) and Anteloipe out to a rangefinder distance of 627 yards. The recoil (or lack thereof) is a bonus. My deer and elk season run concurrently for a week or so this year and I will probably take my 270 and 300 as backups but most likely will be carrying the .257 in the woods.
Wow, did you find a deal & it looks like that great find was a gamechanger for what you use!! And those Ultra Lightweights are really neat. Is it a shooter?
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Dogshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
Suprisingly, the Vanguard gets a little bit better groups than Ultra Lightweight with factory loads. Still tweaking the reloads. But what it's getting now ain't bad at all!
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.